What color primer was used

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals

Happy new year to all my FABO friends.

I seen something strange on my 1972 Demon as I was sanding down the paint to repair some dents. The car was a yellow when I got the car repainted with a cheap paint job. Here is what I found, as I sanded thru the yellow paint I found what looked like grey primer and than red primer under that. Was this normal from the factory.

It just seems strange to me as I have always found only red primer under the paint.

Rick

my orange dart has red primer under the factory paint, and the wagon is showing hints of red under the grey inn a spot on the cowl

My car, a 65 Dart built at Hamtrak, has red oxide under the outer body panels. I don't remember seeing the greenish primer but it could have been there. The car has been painted a couple of times.

The bottom of the car is nothing but the dark gray it was dipped in. The interior floor and inside the trunk has the same dip primer under the paint. The engine compartment and firewall has either black or dark gray under the body color paint. I'm pretty sure I saw red oxide in the fender wells under body color paint. But I don't see how these wouldn't also have the dark gray dip. There could very well have been dark gray under the red oxide. Up behind the dash seems to have a light coat of red oxide with nothing over it.

An advantage of using a darker color for you base coat is that you can tell when you're starting to sand through the filler primer. I'll be using black under the car and red oxide on the outer panels for my epoxy primer. Then I'll use a light gray filler primer.

-
Back