What degree thermostat ?

-

68 Coronet RT

68 GTS # 508 in Registry
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone is using in their small blocks as far as thermostat degrees. 160 ? 180 ? 195 ? pros and cons of using the 160 ?

Imho. Use what does the oem call for. A thermostat does what its name implies. It tries to maintain engine coolant temp to its value. The cooler you maintain the less thermal expansion occurs and normal operating tollerances might not me met.

no pros with the 160 but lots of cons . jmo . I run nothing cooler than a 180 but mostly a 195 . a 160 wont help hot running engines there are other problems .

I have been running a 195* thermostat for about two years now on my tired old 318. I want to make sure any moisture in the oil from shitty old rings allowing it past gets boiled off.

Run the hottest you can without detonating. Keep intake air cool. Nothing good comes from running an engine too cold. Try a 195.

All good answers! You're in NY state. I would run a 195°.

195 I get to watch the temp gauge go from 192 to 200 to 192 to 200................

I run a 180 in SoCal year around.
Looks like you are in New York. Warm summer, cold winter.
I would say 180 in the summer, 195 in the winter for you.
If you are not driving in the winter, then I would run a 180.

Last edited:
I run a 180 in SoCal year around.
Looks like you are in New York. Warm summer, cold winter.
I would say 180 in the summer, 195 in the winter for you.
If you are not driving in the winter, then I would run a 180.

Yes I live in NY. The car is usually put away long before the cold weather hits and doesn't come out till mid April depending on the weather so the 180 should work for me.

-
Back