What Did You Learn To Drive In

-
Unofficially (sitting on my dad's lap) a 66 Dart wagon...hence, why I own one now. Officially, took my test in a 76 Aspen wagon w/ the fast idle stuck, so the pillon test was interesting...but successful!

Automatic was my dads old '89 Chevy Celebrity wagon
Manual Trans. was a '90 Ford Super-Duty diesel with a 12 foot flatbed. The truck not being such a good idea since even on a hill at a dead stop you could let the clutch go with no throttle and it wouldn't stall like a gas vehicle. Next time I drove a manual trans. car I almost rolled back into a truck behind me, ooops.

I guess I learned to drive on my folks 76 Pontiac Catalina with a 400. Learned how to do "brake torques" in that. I did have my 70 383 4spd Bee when I was 16 but didn't get it on the road until I graduated at 17. I feel that I "learned" how to really drive with that car. Too stupid to keep it- had to trade for a 71 Barracuda...

1955 GMC truck long bed 4spd no power anything and had a starter pedal. I was 10 and it was on a farm.

1939 Autocar truck with a 4 speed main 3speed aux 2 speed rear ends Vaccume brakes no power anything with a 38 foot tanker trailer with my dad

yamaha XT 250 dirt bike, suzuki GT350 two stroke street bike, then a couple years later, a 1979 chevy chevet 4speed and 75 chevy malibu wagon V8 auto

I did most of my learning/practice in my Mom's 1973 AMC Hornet Sportabout wagon. 258 inline six, auto. I had a lot of fun in that car(nudge, nudge, wink, wink), maybe why I like wagons so much.

I did drive my grandma's old early '70's Corolla while away on vacation, before I got my license. Only time that I've ever driven a Toyota, and it will be.

I took my test in the Driving school's K-car, in 1979.

A 65 Dodge van with a 273 and three on the column. It handled like a shopping cart. I bought it from my uncle for 500 dollars. 3" pipes down the sides and a Realistic power booster/equalizer.

Manual trans was my dad's 65 2 dr. Fury III 383 4 bbl. 4spd. Automatic was my mom's 73 2 dr. Newport.

Learned in, took the drivers test in a 1966 Valiant Wagon.
1st Car after passing the test; 1968 Pontiac Tempest OHC 250 w/3 on the tree!

Learned in dad's 74 Chrysler Newport 400.. what a boat. Did so well, my parents bought me a... Vega.

Grant

beat up early 70's chevy truck. First time driving I knocked over a neighbors mailbox on san juan island, WA

Learned to drive in a 67 Pont Firebird 400-Turbo400.First car was a 56 Bel Air 2dr. ht. 327 4spd.-then a 66 GTO-then a 69 Chevelle SS 396.......then I got "responsibilities" and bought 4dr cars until now 65 Cuda vroooom vroooom again soon!

Stick-'67 Beetle. One tough little machine. It was a European model with front disc brakes, ZF limited slip, 4 lug wheels, and a 6 volt electrical system. The local VW dealer went nuts supplying parts. Drove it everywhere before I got a learner's permit. Wish I still had it.

Auto-'67 Valiant 4 door, /6, with 3.91 Sure Grip 7 1/4". Stoplight to stoplight, hard to beat and ate 396 Chevelles alive. Made my first legal trip with Mom shredding the door panel trying to find the door handle so she could bail out. I got better.

60 Ply fury green and white too tone continal tire slant six. took test in new 67 fish.

I learned on a farm truck like this but not as nice as this one
samuelson_bill_1959a.jpg

A late 50s early 60s Anglias 4 cyl. 4 speed, we built them for ministocks had a yard full of them and cortinas, i was around 12 [damn that was 40 years ago i feel old]

-
Back