What Did You Learn To Drive In

-
73 pontiac lemans sport coupe. 350 3 speed on the floor. fun car. still love to have another old pontiac,,

img076.jpg

49 Studebaker while living in Japan as a military dependent on a military base in 1963. Seemed natural to drive on the other side of the road until I came back to the states!

When I was 14 my Dad let me drive our family car...a 64 Fairlane 500 with a 289 and an automatic....

1980 Honda Accord stick. Got my license in an '84 Volvo wagon with a turbo and a stick. Beat a couple clowns with car!

A 1935 Dodge 4 door sedan. Flathead 6 and 3 on the tree.

Took driver's ed in a brand new '76 Gran Torino.

Learned to drive a stick car in my buddy's '77 Vega. We called it "The Blue Frog" because it took me a while to learn how to use the clutch/gas together to keep it from hopping about 4-5 times before it stalled.

1973 Challenger 340/727 slap stick when I was 10. I could barely see over the dash with two phone books under my ***. Also first car I drove over 100 mph in.....on the same day....my moms boyfriend was nuts(challenger owner) drove around on side streets for 2 hours,then he had me pull out on the highway and told me to "gun it" I pegged the speedo before he told me to let off. Ive been addicted to mopar ever since.

52 or 53 Caddy. Junkyard derby car when I was 11. Looking back at what we would do in those cars, man was I young and dumb

My parents had an early 80' s Buick wagon, I drove on family vacations, it was a good experience for interstates, but the speed limit was only 55 back then.

I took my driving test in an awesome 4 door 86 Mazda..lol
My first car was a 67 Mustang, 289 2 barrel.............. wish I still had it!!

'56 Oldsmobile Super 88 Holiday 4 dr. hardtop. Full power car with the button on the floor next to the dimmer switch to change radio stations! Also had a reverb unit for the rear speakers and factory AC! Cutting edge technology! Ben.

My mom and dad's 1974 Dodge pickup Adventure 300. 360 two barrel automatic 4.10 ratio. Damn thing came from the factory with a camper attached to the bed. Once I turned 15 I started trying to fix it up so I got rid of that camper, I did body work to it-not ever doing it it was bad looking in the end but better that all the rust it had previously been showing. Added the old Sparko-Matic radio from K-mart "lasted 3weeks" so once I was 16 and driving the truck ran hot in the summer had to keep the heat on to keep the temp down, never got any heat in the winter "cold ride to school". Leaked and burned oil, changed the plugs every 7 month "oil fowled" and had to always pump the breaks to stop the darn thing.

But that son of a b*%$h started every day and never let me sit!

Of course knowing what I know now all of those items could easily be fixed. But I was 16 and earned $60 every two weeks with my paper route I figured this will do fine.

Once the gas went up to $1.25 a gallon I started to panic about me affording gas so I took my X-mas tips from newspapers and bought a 1981 Plymouth Horizon "that one was a winner - NOT" Always wanting a 70-74 Cuda but never being able to afford one I am more than satisfied with my 74 Duster.

-
Back