What diff locker is best

-
I don't have one YET, but I plan to put one in this Ford 9" I have narrowed for the Valiant. When I get one I'm going to get the best one made. Detroit Locker.

Dana powr-lok is the best, the more power you put to it the harder it locks.

The sure grip I had was the clutch style, it worked well until the clutches got worn, I replaced it with a Tru Trac unit from Eaton, absolutely no complaints about that unit, a great piece.

Dana powr-lok is the best, the more power you put to it the harder it locks.

But he said locker. The Dana Power Lok isn't a locker. It's a limited slip unit. A badass one, but a limited slip.

But he said locker. The Dana Power Lok isn't a locker. It's a limited slip unit. A badass one, but a limited slip.

Dont fall for the smaller cheaper locker units if u got some h.p. , they wouldn`t hold up to 600 h.p. and 14'' slicks in a 2400 pound vega .

What locker is everyone running for street, strip use.
its hard to beat a Detroit Locker. for durability and longevity.

That said, having ran lockers on the street, its gets annoying and tire wear and slippage, especially on wet roads can be treacherous. Not much better than running a spool. I'd look into a limited slip if you're doing any large amount of street driving.

Last edited:
its hard to beat a Detroit Locker. for durability and longevity.

That said, having ran lockers on the street, its gets annoying and tire wear and slippage, especially on wet roads can be treacherous. Not much better than running a spool. I'd look into a limited slip if you're doing any large amount of street driving.

That's all true and it's also all avoidable AS LONG AS you don't slip up and forger it's back there. lol

My buddy broke a 9" Ford unit, but he had a 540 ford with a 671 on it, they did replace it for free, so that is a plus.

All I've had have been OEM cone or clutch types in 8-3/4s. Good enough for me back in the day. Good enough for me now.
My buddy on the other hand has had a Gleason Torsen in the Dana 60 in his '70 440 4spd Cuda for 30 years. It's very similar to the Trutrac, and he loves it. It was intended for a Ford truck, so he had to get custom axles, but it's been great piece for a long time.

What locker is everyone running for street, strip use.
Depends on which rearend you are using. I have a Detroit Locker in the S60 under my Duster but I'm going to replace it with a Strange S-Trac. The Locker works great at the track but it behaves weird on the street. I have a S-Trac in the S60 under my Coronet and it is better behaved on the street than the Locker. So I've tried them both and I'm switching to the S-Trac.

Depends on which rearend you are using. I have a Detroit Locker in the S60 under my Duster but I'm going to replace it with a Strange S-Trac. The Locker works great at the track but it behaves weird on the street. I have a S-Trac in the S60 under my Coronet and it is better behaved on the street than the Locker. So I've tried them both and I'm switching to the S-Trac.
Thanks everyone for your information. It helps me to get a better feel for what is going to work for my application.

I am having no problems w/ a detroit locker in mine , especially since I readjusted the cal trac bars , even made it drive better too , hit anything w/ some h.p. in the rain that has any traction aid , can be a mistake --------------

I run an older Detroit Locker. I’d rather have the slow speed clunking than have different tire speeds for both sides.

As far as I can tell all LSD’s have some loss thought the clutch packs or cones, where a locker doesn’t.

I run two Eaton Trutracs, one in my 62 Belvedere and one in my 69 GTX. Zero complaints with either.

This is what I am running, copy and paste from my invoice. I didn't want to deal with a Detroit locker when it rains because this car gets driven on the street.

Dana 60 Eaton Truetrac Differential

dana-truetrac.jpg

Products information

Product Price Quantity Subtotal

Strange S-60
Options:Body Style: A-Body; Width: Stock Mopar; Perches: Stock Mopar Measurements (+$120.00); Powdercoat Housing: Yes (+$175.00); Cover: Powder Coated (Black) Aluminum "S" Cover (+$50.00); Axles: 35 Spline; Carrier: Truetrac (+$320.00); Gear Material: Standard; Gear Ratio: 4.10; Studs: 1/2" X 2"; Yoke: Cr-Moly (+$50.00); Reproduction Pinion Snubber Plate: Yes (+$70.00); Custom Measurements/Notes: 56 5/8 assembly width;

Last edited:
-
Back