What Do I do?

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 414 small block with push on breather filters on each valve cover. Unfortunately over time, the breathers' vapor leave oily deposits on my engine. The breathers are RPC brand from Barnett Performance in Atlanta. Do I need a different brand? I've considered installing a pcv valve but I worry about oily deposits in my intake manifold. Can I use a modern catch can with a pcv valve to limit deposits in my intake? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Yes to PCV and yes to catch can if you're worried about oil vapors. Be sure to plum the opposite valve cover that the PCV/Catch can is plumbed to, to your air cleaner.

A street car for sure. I may or may not take it to the track. It's got a *242/*250@.050, .560/.570 cam, iron heads, FiTech EFI, if that makes a difference. Valve covers do have baffles.

my suggestion.
For the street, go with the PVC and keep an eye on the spark plugs .. or a 'puke can'
If it was for the track - Crankcase Evacuation at the header exhaust collector/reducer or Vacuum pump.

Blowby is not your friend,

I can't stand those little valve cover filters for that exact reason. Yet, you see them in so many engine bays. Crankcase pressure is the culprit of so many oil leaks.

I saw this setup on a Charger. I may go this route.

terribleone2014301.jpg

That's the route I am going. Buy I bought my heads from sent a beauty stainless catchcan with an lines.

Use a pcv by all means. Either "do like OEM" and plumb a "piped" breather back into the air filter bonnet, even two of them, or use the same ones and run hose down underneath "road draft"

Some guys advocate check valves into the exhaust for a small vacuum

My air cleaner is just the top and bottom with air filter sandwiched in between like this one. What should I do about the other valve cover without the pcv valve?

2401195_L1600_78961c39-fce9-47b8-9520-ae43d143031a.jpg

My air cleaner is just the top and bottom with air filter sandwiched in between like this one. What should I do about the other valve cover without the pcv valve?

View attachment 1715539770
Usually that type of air cleaner has a place to attach an elbow on the bottom. A lot of times the elbow comes with the air cleaner. You run a hose from the base of the air cleaner to a breather on the non-PCV valve cover. Edelbrocki sells a kit, #1205.
edl-1205_w_ml.jpg

That'll work and it's economical but if there is high crankcase pressure that solution just moves the oil vapor mess to the inside of the air cleaner.
Longer stroke motors like a 414 have inherently more crankcase pressure even with an equally good (or bad) ring sealing of a short stroke motor.

IMO ... An oil separator is the better solution.

Thanks for all the replies. I will check my air cleaner to see if it is stamped to connect a hose.

-
Back