What do last numbers in block casting mean?

-

2sixtynines

Reaction score
Have a 440 engine with the casting number 2536430-10 What does the ten stand for, if anything?

legend has it as the number of the core revision. So there is maybe a minor correction in a wall thickness so the change the core to #2, and so on. Supposedly the lower core numbers were better because they were heavier, as in more metal. Later cores were pinching pennies to conserve iron. I also head they cast them 8 at a time and its just the position in the grid that they were in..

Karl worked for Chrysler. He might can add something here.

@krazykuda

Have a 440 engine with the casting number 2536430-10 What does the ten stand for, if anything?

Karl worked for Chrysler. He might can add something here.

@krazykuda

I'm not positive about the big block markings, but I suspect that the -10 would be the mold cavity identification... They need to be able to identify which mold cavity the part came from in case there are any quality issues and they need to trace it back... Otherwise they have to go through all of the mold cavities to correct any quality issues... If the problem is isolated on one cavity, then they can waste a lot of time for nothing trying to fix molds that don't have the defect, so they have mold and mold cavity identifiers cast into the part for traceability...

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, for all the responses. I went to 440 source .com and believe I got the answer I was looking for.

-
Back