what do you call these parts

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I do not know the proper name for these parts. I bought them when I built my Duster and I forgot what they are called. I am sorry, I have slept since then and my memory is erased. that is what happens when you get old. so don't do it. This is the steering column on a 73 Dart Sport. I need the sleeve that goes up in the column with the little ring on it to the left in the picture. I also need the piece on the right side. has the rubber plate with the cover on it that is crimped. inside it has 2 "H" kinda pieces that is on a pin. Damn I cannot remember what they are called. please let me know what these pieces are called and where to get them. Bill

Attachments

• DSC05209 (Copy).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 398
Right side you need a coupling rebuild kit. I found mine on ebay

The one on the right is called the steering column coupler

that's it. I had a brain fart and could not remember. how bout the left side.

I found some of the kits on ebay. one was a Dorman part # 425-253 that looks like the same thing but it says it is not compatible with the 73 dart Sport. I also found some for a charger but I am not sure it is the same. I bet the 425-253 will work. where can I get this bushing.

found the coupler kit. now just have to find the piece on the left with the metal ring.

The lower column bearings are a wide array of part numbers for floor shift, column shift, year model, etc... If you'll measure the shaft and the tube you might buy a common bearing to put there. A search here may provide details on a suitable replacement someone else already found.

thanks Redfish. I believe the guy who has the coupler rebuild kit may have one.

I think I went to Restoration Parts Source (RPS) for mine.
It was a bit spendy though.
As I recall some used 3 screws while others used 2.

Was there a bearing there or was it just a foam seal? My Challenger just had a foam seal inside the plastic retainer...it was still called a bearing though.

I just cleaned up the plastic piece and made a new seal from some excess foam.

Hi burdar, you bring up a good point.
In my case I needed the bearing w/ 2 screws.
here's a shot of the old one
185712_399881416760905_829665668_n.jpg

and the new one installed.

544042_405441122871601_864058118_n.jpg

mine doesn't have screws. mine has a round ring or clip type set up. If you look in the pic about 1 " from the bottom you can see the ring that kinda goes into a hole.

The lower bushings varied a lot depending on model year, options, etc. Some had actual bearings, some had plastic bushings, some just had what basically amounts to a plastic seal.

The bearing or bushing style ones are about $80 to replace.

But an ER16 flange bearing fits in there pretty well too. Here's how I did mine...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=228103

IMG_1153_zps4488f1ae.jpg

I second the ER16 bearing upgrade. Did it on my buddy Joe's duster and has a much firmer feel through the steering column.

The lower bushings varied a lot depending on model year, options, etc. Some had actual bearings, some had plastic bushings, some just had what basically amounts to a plastic seal.

The bearing or bushing style ones are about $80 to replace.

But an ER16 flange bearing fits in there pretty well too. Here's how I did mine...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=228103

IMG_1153_zps4488f1ae.jpg

Very nice 72bluNblu... That's a keeper. Thank you for sharing. I'll definitely do this on my next column. :cheers:

AlV

ok, so you guys think one of these insert bearings would do the trick for me. I hope so. I just got a PM back from the guy on ebay who has the coupler rebuild kit and he is asking $28.00 for the plastic piece and another $7.00 for the metal ring that goes on the end of the shaft. I would be much better with the insert bearing and a whole lot cheaper doing it that way. let me know what you think. Bill

ok, so you guys think one of these insert bearings would do the trick for me. I hope so. I just got a PM back from the guy on ebay who has the coupler rebuild kit and he is asking $28.00 for the plastic piece and another $7.00 for the metal ring that goes on the end of the shaft. I would be much better with the insert bearing and a whole lot cheaper doing it that way. let me know what you think. Bill

You'd still need to rebuild the coupler. The bearing just replaces the plastic bearing/bushing at the base of the column, not the steering coupler.

yeah, I have the coupler rebuild kit coming. It would be better and cheaper to buy the insert bearing than pay $35.00 plus ride for the plastic piece. Thanks

This doesn't help you since you already have the coupler rebuild kit on the way but...you can still get them through Chrysler. I bought mine a couple years ago through a dealer for $12.

Getting a new cap crimped on the box coupling so it stays in place is a real challenge.
Another option is a molded rubber sleeve like cover that slides on too easy.
Sorry I don't have a link to this aftermarket solution.

Yep, installing that cover sucks. I ended up using some wrenches and C-clamps to hold the cover tight...then crimped the retainers. Not fun. If someone knew they were going to do a lot of these, I think a fixture could be easily made to make the process a lot faster and easier.

I took and held it in place and crimped it and then tac welded the tabs down on my Duster. it is still in place.

burdar, I made a mistake here. I didn't order the coupling kit yet. I found it and put it on my watch list and forgot to go back and buy it. I have too much crap going on at one time. when I read your reply about the Chrysler dealer, a light went on. I called a local dealer that is within blocks of the body shop my son works out and Dan came back on the phone and says to me " would you believe I have one of them in my hand right now ". I said no. he told me that it would cost $15.00 if I ran it through the body shop. So thanks. My son is going to pick it up on lunch today. I keep forgetting that there is a great Chrysler dealer in Florence that does a lot with old cars. I appreciate that. Bill

-
Back