what do you like better?

-

varlo

Joe- Long Island, Oakdale
Reaction score
So after getting upset over some girl issues my old man let me take his 67 cuda out for a spin. It was awesome and just what i needed to calm myself down and really just enjoy things. It was therapy haha. Hes got a 360 with a 4 speed and manual steering. My current build with my scamp is similar ive got a 360 with 4 speed and am still undecided on whether or not to go power steering or manual steering. I really really liked the manual steering. It wasnt to rough for me. My problem is i have the same column when my scamp was a /6 with power steering. Would I need a new column with a manual box or can i get away with just the box. Also im looking for input. My intentions with the car are to put my 8-3/4 in and when i get more money work the 360. How do you guys like your setups? And if anyone has any parts necessary and wants to shoot me a pm that would be great.

Thanks,
Joe

The manual box is shorter IIRC and Flaming river has an adapter to connect the manual box to a power streering steering colum.

What parts are you looking for?

You'll need the longer column, or one of the extension adapters they sell. I think some later '70s vans used a similar device. The manual steering is just too slow for me. I just can't spin the wheel fast enough to prevent me from having to hit the brakes on sharp turns. I have one of the 16:1 boxes, but never installed it. I have no idea how much harder it is to turn. The car was in the air at Pick-a-Part when I found it, so I couldn't test it out.

I always hated how easy the power steering was so I always put manual steering in. I keep hearing great things about the stage 3 firm feel power steering box and am going to try one in jamies dart

I like manual steering, less clutter under the hood and I like the feel. You can use the power steer column if you take it apart and break the shear pin. Then the lower shaft can be pulled out far enough the reach the steering box. You will need the right coupler for the manual box though.

sounds like I better just look for a manual column with a manual box. because i dont have 500 to shell out for the flaming river unit.

sweet! now i just need a box and some more money to buy everything

Have you tried the local auto part store for a manual box?

id go manual! i was in the same boat and right now i have power steering since the 40 dollar pump from the junkyard was cheaper than the flaming river coupler...i love the firm feel of no power steering (in my daily and in my dads 440 dart), but i havent tried the power steering yet so im not sure how it would feel to be honest...but i will tell you, if you plan on seeing parking lots and dont like arm workouts, manual steering is not for you lol

Have you tried the local auto part store for a manual box?

Nope this idea only occurred this weekend and I have been busy all week with work and school. I will definitely look into this more on the weekend. Thanks for the input though. Worse case scenario is I have a whole power steering assembly off a 340 I can use for now then change it. But that is a temporary fix. I was just looking for input and seeing what everyone else was running. not really for my personal problems. Thats what pm's are for

I really thought this thread was going somewhere else...

I had planned on manual steering so got a matching box and column years ago. But now Im thinking about a rack and pinion conversion.

I am actually in the middle of installing the flaming river 16:1 manual steering box. i will keep you all updated on how it is..

I always loved power steering, never had a problem with it at all.
But then again i'm getting old LOL.
(except headers)

i'm not a big fan of power steering. mopar power steering seems to lose the feel of the road. i converted my dart when i rebuild the front end.

IMG_1898_1.jpg

To be honest, my Dart came with power steering and I've never thought twice about it. All the other vehicles I driver are PS, so I guess I'm just used to it and see no use to switch. If I were to ever swap out my /6, I'm pretty sure I would switch as the PS could get hairy on the strip if you are not careful.

I like the feel of the manual steering on the wagon, and I never have to worry about the wife driving my car.

manual is good if its the only thing you can fit or are hitting the drag strip all the time and need every 10th you can get. otherwise, it gets old unless your car just sits in the garage.

Manual steering gives you a much better feeling of control,i had p.s. and switched it out for the Flaming river box and adapter,one of the best upgrades i did plus it took like 26 pounds off the frontend...

Bought the 70 Duster new, manual. Young, no problems. Now, not driven in 13 years, converted to bucket seats, man, that wheel is huge. Thought about it for a while.. it always was huge. But still easy to turn. do they even make parallel parking anymore?

still undecided?
i have 17x8's and manual box have no trouble at all finding my parking stall.
...and no, i'm not armstrong.

IMG_1120_1.jpg

Manila Feb 09 198_1.jpg

I've driven these cars with earlier (read: lighter) power steering ('71 Dart), later power steering ('75 Dart / '75 Valiant), slow ratio manual ('70 Duster and '72 Duster) and fast ratio manual ('71, '72 Dart). Here's my take:

I'll leave the parking issues out, because, OP, you've obviously decided that you can live with the manual option for parking.

For the strip, I'd go manual (fast ratio).

For the street, automatic car, I'd consider fast ratio manual.

For a manual street driven car, for safety reasons alone, I would NEVER consider going back to slow ratio manual. I once got into a situation on the highway, at over 70 mph where I had to make an emergency maneuver abruptly. We almost died. I almost lost it. God saved us, not me - I tell you truly - it was bad bad bad ... and I am no wimp - it had nothing at all to do with hard steering, just pathetically sloooooooooooow steering. Once mistake, one hand over hand miss at speed and you are dead meat.

I immediately had the car change over to power steering. And I know that I can always firm it up with Firm Feels box if I want to.

-
Back