What do you think it will run?

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
69' 340 block, bushed lifter bores, 4" forged crank, .060 JE Flat-tops, eagle H-beams, balanced, main studs/girdle. Lunati Voodoo 60433 solid roller with 249/255 @ .050, .585/.600 lift, matching springs/etc.

Problem is the heads. Not enough money for Edelbrocks, w-2's, etc at the moment. I have a set of X-heads that I ported with 2.05/1.625 valves that I have yet to run. With these it would be about 10.8-11.0:1 compression.

Also, I want it to look stock. Do you guys think an LD340 would work ok? It will also have Hooker super comp 1 3/4 headers, a rebuilt 904 with a 32-3400 stall (with an old 360), and a 3.23 sure-grip. For now. Not sure what a-body it will be in, but we will go with a 3400 lb weight.

I know the 3.23's don't sound like a good ratio, but its all I have for now. And I was thinking the torque from this engine may make it overcome the gear ratio somewhat.

Also, what carb? Ignition? This build is in the beginning stages, so give me your opinions, good or bad!!

Also, would a 4-speed kill the quarter mile times? Its going to be a mostly fun, street driven car. May go to 3.73 gears, at the most. Will have relocated springs, and sticky tires.

From the Lunait web page……..

Part Number: 60433

Solid roller, rough idle. Excellent cam for street/strip applications with explosive mid range and upper RPM torque and horsepower. Works well in 340-360 cubic inch engines. Needs 3000-3500 RPM stall speed converter or 4-speed transmission, 10.25:1 or better compression ratio, aftermarket performance exhaust and 4.10 rear gears.

RPM range: 3000-7000

I think you will be leaving some ET on the table with 3.23s, an LD 340 and home ported x-heads (unless you are very good at porting).

You may also run into detonation problems with that compression, pump gas and iron heads (not sure on this).

Thats kind of what I was thinking too. On the other hand, I thought maybe the extra cubes would tame the RPM range down a little bit to where the intake and heads might make it an awesome torque engine on the street. I am a little afraid of the compression though. I would love to get some Edelbrocks for it. I'm ok at porting, but no pro! I'm sure I'll eventually try some 3.91's, I just can't leave anything alone for long. If I go with a different intake, it will probably be a Holley Strip Dominator.

What heads/intake/etc would you go with? Thanks!

I'm hoping so! It will have SuperStock springs, adj snubber, drag shocks, springs moved in 3", poly bushings, and probably 275/50-15 drag radials, not sure what kind yet. Maybe bigger if I can fit them.

You'll easily be able to fit bigger tires. There are lots of us on here running 275/60-15 with no tubbing or spring location. 275/60-15's are 28" tall, give or take about 1/4" depending on brand and the 275/50-15's are about 26.5" tall.

64physhy, how do you like your stroker in your Duster? I'm used to a stock compression, mild cammed 360, a 13.5 et engine. How does the stroker compare? I've been thinking all night about the intake and heads. I just recently bought a Performer RPM, but I like the way the LD340 looks. Or should I sell them both and buy a single plane? It gets cold here sometimes in Ohio, and every single plane I have had is a pain when its cold outside.

I love my stroker. It has insane torque. I haven't taken it to the strip yet, but I guess it will do high 10's-mid 11's. My compression is at about 10.1:1. Really no need for a single plane, I have an RPM Air Gap on mine. I don't think I know of anyone running the regular RPM. I'm sure there are some out there, but since the Air Gap came out, the regular RPM is kind of obsolete. I don't know much about the LD340, but I think I've heard of people making good power with them. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the Air Gap, especially if it's going to be a street driven car that goes to the track occasionally.

the ld340 looks much more stock than the rpm, plus it has larger runners which might be better for the stroker than the rpm, but i haven't seen any dyno #'s to back that up.

Right now I have both an RPM and an LD340. I have heard the same thing about the LD340, the larger runners, thats why I was going to use it. I guess if it didn't work as well as I thought it should then I could always sell them both and get an Air Gap. I just really like the way the LD340 looks. The Air Gap looks awesome, but definitely not stock. Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. 64physhy, your stroker is exactly how I want mine to perform! What rockers should I run? Do you think my 1 3/4 headers are necessary, or would some 1 5/8 headers be ok? I hate losing my power steering.

I have Magnum heads and I'm running Hughes 1.65:1 roller rockers. I WOULD NOT do magnum heads again due to the rocker stud flex. 1 5/8 will be good. I have Dougs on mine with power steering. Might lose a little top HP with them over the 1 3/4 headers, but you won't miss it.

I never thought of the stud flex. I was going to stay with 1.5, since that Lunati cam is pretty high lift anyway. I won't have a ton to spend, but I want to do it right. I've heard a few good and a few bad things about the crane gold race rockers. Would the ductile iron survive that cam/valvespring load? Or should I go with pro-magnum comp rockers? Physhy, you are the first one to give me a yay or nay on the header situation, I'm glad to hear what you said. The Hooker super comps are going to come off! I like having a little room to move.

As for the heads, the more I thought about it, the more I think I'm going to sell all of my extra small block stuff and find a set of bare or used Eddy heads, and have them ported. I know indy and hughes are good, but is there anyone else that would be better to send the heads to? And possibly the intake?

-
Back