What does the owners manual say about lowering a 1965 Valiant convetible top?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I never unzip the plastic window, and was wondering what the factory had to say about raising and lowering the top. Thank you to anyone who has an original owners manual and can quote for me exactly what is recommended.

When I had my 65 Signet (and Dart) convertibles, the procedure was a bit different between the manual and power tops. I'll try to find my old owners manual for an exact quote.

it should be close to the 66 dart lowering instructions. short version is "it" says unzip window and lay in well, raise top about 1/2 way and push out the material between the bows so it does not pinch or bunch up in the mechanism. lower top the rest of the way. If a manual mechanism engage latches in the well to hold down the top mechanism and fasten top boot cover

here is the 66 manual's explanation
Raise and lower once a month to keep the top mechanism in working condition.

Lower Top (Power)

Release safety catch, pull handle down and to the rear and push top free of the header.
Be sure the top well compartment is free of articles.
Unzip the rear window and position carefully in the well. Make sure all wrinkles are removed. Operate
engine in neutral at a speed slightly above idle. Turn control switch to the right. As the top is being lowered,
push upward on the stay pads, between roof bows to make certain the material folds are outboard
of the bows, or, stop folding mechanism approximately two feet from stacked position and push top material
and stay pads out from between the bows.
Lower the top completely. Fasten the top boot over the compartment.

Are the stay pads the extra foam things on the inside that cushion the metal arms? I thought those had to be in place to cushion the arms and not tear the top. Maybe I have this all wrong. All I was doing was unlatching the top and then pushing like heck down on the top to engage the two locking tabs.

Are the stay pads the extra foam things on the inside that cushion the metal arms? I thought those had to be in place to cushion the arms and not tear the top. Maybe I have this all wrong. All I was doing was unlatching the top and then pushing like heck down on the top to engage the two locking tabs.

the stay pads are there to protect the top, but only when the top is up. they just are in the way adding thickness to the top mechanism when it's lowered. you can most likely save 1 to 2 inched of height if you get those out of the way when you fold down the top. less pushing.
unlatch and raise the top 1/2 way (header with the latches pointing directly up)
the material that is between the bows on the mechanism is the stuff you want to get out of the way so the top mechanism doesn't pinch the pads or top material it's easy when the top is half way down and you can either get in the backseat area of the car or stand outside and push one side out and then the other to help finish lowering the top without pinching the material.

top fold down push points.jpg

-
Back