What does this engine number mean?

-

Moparbaker

Reaction score
I have a 318 that I would like to know what car / truck it comes from, I've tried to search for some list to see stamped numbers but I found none...
The stamped number is:
#9M318 12070844
BIG thanx beforehand!

Last edited:
Is this off the front driver side of the block under the head?

That is the engine serial number.

Many confuse it with the cars partial or full VIN that was stamped later, right before it went into a car.

Look for a flat pad on the passenger side of the block, down low right over the oil pan rail.

Anything stamped there?

Yep, on the front driver / left side just under the head.
Gonna look tomorrow if there's something stamped above the oilpan.

Thanx Garrett, is it possible to see what kinda car it came from?
It also came with computer injection that was said to belong to it & I wonder if it's a roller cam engine or not..?
It's painted black & I can't see any other traces of paint, it has a two barell intake.

If it's a '79 engine, it wouldn't have any sort of fuel injection and wouldn't have a roller cam from the factory.

Yes, it may be an ‘89. Look at the date casting on the side of the block opposite the side with the casting numbers, displacement, and dash number. An easier way to tell is of it still has the distributor, though. No vacuum can and two pickup coils would be lean burn (1979) and one pickup with no can would be TBI (1989).

So it was done on e day shift & so on, but the flat pad above the oilpan is blank,I sanded off all paint with a rather fine paper & there's nothing there.
But I was thinking that since it's black & has a two barell intake it seems to me as an typical van engine. (pickups aint that awfully common here but vans are)

-
Back