What fluid for a 4-speed trans?

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an A833OD trans going back into my truck. I drained it a while ago and now I can't remember what it was filled with. The FSM says to use ATF, yet somehow I recall being told 80 weight gear oil was a better way to go? And of course on my truck parts shelf I have both ATF and gear oil standing by so there is no guidance to be had according to what's on hand.

You will get 100 different answers here. What did you drain out of it? This is what I use, am happy with it.

20220605_192939.jpg

CRUZE 418 is right, you will get a hundred different answers. I have always used ATF with no issues.

I don't recommend the factory 90w. Shifting is much better with those other 100 oils.

You will get 100 different answers here. What did you drain out of it? This is what I use, am happy with it.

View attachment 1715937908

Sadly I don't remember what I drained out. It was too long ago.

And yes I'm aware this could be like the "what's the best engine oil" threads. Bring on the recommendations!

Check the FSM for your year trans... the recommended lubricants are listed according to temperature.
For instance, in the '68 manual it states for the A833:
Warm climate: Multi-purpose gear oil SAE 140
Cold climate: Multi-purpose gear oil SAE 80 or 90
or
Auto Trans. Fluid "AQ ATF" Suffix "A" (Dexron)
Also states:
"Fill transmission with Multi-Purpose Gear Oil SAE 140. If shift effort becomes extremely high during cold weather, Multi-Purpose Gear Oil SAE 80 or 90 should be used. Automatic Transmission Fluid AQ-ATF Suffix "A" (Dexron) may also be used in extremely cold climates.
So, check your year FSM- but I don't think the OD will differ much in it's requirements.
I usually don't argue with the factory recommendations. But some people will.

I bought a new Dart Sport with a 4-speed in 1973 and the transmission was noisy. The dealer drained the ATF and refilled it with gear oil and the noise went away. I’ll never put ATF in a gearbox ever but that’s just my opinion.

Generally speaking, if you live in a cold climate, use ATF, warm climate, use gear oil. I've always used ATF because I like the smooth shifting no matter what. I use it in Vixen's A903 three speed, which had a non synchronized first gear. Normally you have to come to a complete STOP before shifting to first, but since it shifts so smoothly, it goes right in from about 10MPH on down. Doesn't sound like much, but that's perfect for rolling stops.

Well since you always seem to do the opposite of what I recommend...
I recommend sawdust and pee...

Well since you always seem to do the opposite of what I recommend...
I recommend sawdust and pee...

Would it surprise you I am on someone's payroll for the sole purpose of vexing you?

If it wasn't for the missing z-bar ball joint thingie I would be lapping you on round two. Smells like cheeseburgers around here lately. :D:D:D

I bought a new Dart Sport with a 4-speed in 1973 and the transmission was noisy. The dealer drained the ATF and refilled it with gear oil and the noise went away. I’ll never put ATF in a gearbox ever but that’s just my opinion.
I've always used 75w-90 gear oil, no complaints. But my brother-in-law had a stick shift Dodge Van with the trans filled with ATF. I could hear that trans whining from a block away.

Mine has both. 90/atf
Got it that way in 1999.

You can run either, most or many used to to tell you gear oil made the sync sliders sticky and wouldnt shift smooth.

I run 20w50 in mine. You don't want to use GL5 in anything with synchros. The GL5 additives don't work well with brass. GL3 is available at most tractor supplies.

This is an interesting discussion. It might not happen until Carlisle but I’ll ask Herb Mccandles what he suggests the next time that I see him. I’m originally from Syracuse New York which was home to New Process Gear where all of the 833 4-speeds were built. I’d would have asked my NPG buddies the question but most of them have passed away.

This is an interesting discussion. It might not happen until Carlisle but I’ll ask Herb Mccandles what he suggests the next time that I see him. I’m originally from Syracuse New York which was home to New Process Gear where all of the 833 4-speeds were built. I’d would have asked my NPG buddies the question but most of them have passed away.
The factory recemmended different weight of fluids depending on how you drive and where you live. If my 66 was driven in the winter months like it was when it was newer, I would probably run ATF. 80-90 would be too stiff at -20°. None of us drive our old cars in extreme temps so a thicker 80-90 would be fine. I was having some hard shifting issues with mine. I would imagine it still had the original 80-90 in it and the car had sat for years. I used the Pennzoil Synchromesh and it made it work pretty good. I recommend that.

I run 20w50 in mine. You don't want to use GL5 in anything with synchros. The GL5 additives don't work well with brass. GL3 is available at most tractor supplies.
As do I.. and it shifts like a dream whether using the clutch or shifting without.
beerestoration2017 1998.JPG
beerestoration2017 1999.JPG

-
Back