What gear is everyone running

-

68 Coronet RT

68 GTS # 508 in Registry
Reaction score
Thinking about changing to 3:55 or 3:73's in my 8 3/4 posi rear, who makes the best gear for the buck. I heard Richmond is very good but have a tendency to have a whine to them no matter how well they are set up.

Richmond 4.10 now. I have used Richmond gears only! 3.91, 4.56 and 5.13 never had a failure or heard them whine.

Really depends on what your plans are with the car, and how much you plan to drive on the highway/freeway.
Best all around gear ? 3.23 or 3.55
Best bang for the buck ? Check out Motive gears.

Really depends on what your plans are with the car, and how much you plan to drive on the highway/freeway.
Best all around gear ? 3.23 or 3.55
Best bang for the buck ? Check out Motive gears.
Motive makes nice product, 3:55 's with a Magnum 360 ,26.5 tall drag radial.

2.76 (8-1/4") in My Valiant, and 3.54 (Dana60) in My 33 Coupe. -- I like both. --- I've had 3.73s in other vehicles, and they are a good all around, street, gear, in My opinion.

Last edited:
If i'm not mistaken Motive gear are either made by Richmond or the other way around. Their related somehow. I have ran both with no problems with either

If you have a 5 spd or OD unit then you can go 4.10's on the street. I swapped out 3.55's for Motive Performance 4.11's, really woke up the performance. With the Tremec it's still only turning about 2K at 65 mph.

Richmond 4.10 now. I have used Richmond gears only! 3.91, 4.56 and 5.13 never had a failure or heard them whine.
Ditto!

3.55’s in the wife’s Cuda. 360, 904 Automatic 224@050 HR.
4.10’s in my Cuda, E body, 360/4spd 255@050 solid roller
4.88’s drag race Duster, stroked SB, M1 tunnel ram, 904
3.55’s ‘79 Dodge Magnum, 360/904 street cruiser, like Abodybomber, only a B body.

I'm running the following from Dr. Diff. Cass really helped me out getting all the right parts ordered. Install was slicker than snot on a brass doorknob.

Strange S-60
Options:Body Style: A-Body; Width: Stock Mopar; Perches: Stock Mopar Measurements (+$120.00); Powdercoat Housing: Yes (+$175.00); Cover: Powder Coated (Black) Aluminum "S" Cover (+$50.00); Axles: 35 Spline; Carrier: Truetrac (+$320.00); Gear Material: Standard; Gear Ratio: 4.10; Studs: 1/2" X 2"; Yoke: Cr-Moly (+$50.00); Reproduction Pinion Snubber Plate: Yes (+$70.00); Custom Measurements/Notes: 56 5/8 assembly width

3.91's here. Went with US gear set and an Auburn sure grip. Had 3.55's but decided to go for 3.91's instead. Some members here have said before that 3.55s rev about the same but 3.91's give better output.

To the O.P : some of the last of the Richmond gear sets ,were done on sloppy tolerance(s)... About Y2K.. My buddy's rear end still howls ,twelve years later.
( He sets up ,all my diffentials ,never had a bad one. Watched him assemble his ,gear pattern was spot on ,and within tolerances)
Watch ,your product man. .

Isn't that a GM ratio. lol
Gear ratios dont know what brand they are, but I understand they were a popular gear for that crowd.
Imo 3.55's are too soft for the rpm sustainability 'reasonably speaking' of a sb mopar... meanwhile 3.91's have it up higher where
It's that much louder and annoying for long distance.... so 3.73 is my street fav....3.91 is great for around town where you never use the freeway.

Last edited:
Mine came from Strange. I'm not sure if they make their own or outsource them. I've had no issues. They are 4.56 gears.

Here's my issue, I had a set of 3:91 Richmond gears installed by one of the best rear end Mopar guys in my area. At 50 mph they whine like the Kardashians if they don't get front page coverage on Yahoo. I'm going to have to pull the case to have the back lash checked so I'm thinking of changing gears to something a little more highway friendly but do not want to go back to the 3:23's. I know I'm going to lose a little performance but it is what it is. I'm running a stock block 340 with a production date of 6-22-67, ported heads with a ported Eddy performer rpm intake, a 750 edelbrock and stock exhaust manifolds. 727 automatic with a shift kit.

-
Back