What gear to run?

-

Dorian

dorian
Reaction score
Is there a chart for me to figure out what my car might run in the 1/4 by what type of gears I install in my rearend?

I have a 68 Barracuda 383 4 spd

I know there are a million factors to take into consideration but I honestly don't know what gears to get.

At what ratio will I start going slower etc.

talk about a loaded question!

ok - first of all you need to suply ALOT more info

tire height, what rpm's your redlining at, dyno numbers? street strip? or all strip?

ideally for the drag strip you want to be made to run the 1320 - no more - so your car will want to be pretty much topped out at whatever rpm your gonna spin the motor to at the stripe.

tire height plays a part also - taller tire = more gear you need to spin at that rpm

so give us more info on the motor, what tires ya got and etc.....

ok here goes

my car isn't finished yet but I plan on stroking a 383 to 496 with stock manifolds, the dr side will be a better flowing after market manifold. My guess is between 500 and 600 horsepower on alchohol. Mainly used on the strip with occasional street use.
Tire size will be as large as I can with SS springs with a relocation kit. Tire height will probably be around 30" ET Street Drag cheater slicks.
My plan is to make the car "appear" to look stock but with only slight mods.
I don't plan on taking it past 6500 RPM.
Any suggestions on this will be appreciated.
Is that enough info.

The reason I asked this question so early in the build is that a lot of diffs are showing up for sale and I want to buy one if it is close to what I want without having to buy another gear set.

Gary

1st,im not sure a 383 will go to a 496"??..i think only a 400 or 440 but i may be wrong.
either way,if your going 500" and a 30" tires i would go over 4:10's becuz the motor will have ALOT of torque down low and the HP max wont be over 4500rpms which means you'll only shift around 6200-6400 max.

just my .02 cents

Thanks Mike but how far should I go over 4.10s What will be the differences with each gear, say 5.13 or 5.53 for example.
Yes 383 can go to 496 according to different sources in our forums.
Shifting at 6000 or so will be fine for me.

And Yes she is a cutie! Nice pic

Dorian said:
ok here goes

my car isn't finished yet but I plan on stroking a 383 to 496 with stock manifolds, the dr side will be a better flowing after market manifold. My guess is between 500 and 600 horsepower on alchohol. Mainly used on the strip with occasional street use.
Tire size will be as large as I can with SS springs with a relocation kit. Tire height will probably be around 30" ET Street Drag cheater slicks.
My plan is to make the car "appear" to look stock but with only slight mods.
I don't plan on taking it past 6500 RPM.
Any suggestions on this will be appreciated.
Is that enough info.

The reason I asked this question so early in the build is that a lot of diffs are showing up for sale and I want to buy one if it is close to what I want without having to buy another gear set.

Gary

ok - mainly strip -
- 6500 rpm limit -
- 30" tall tire -

i could use the vehicle weight but for argumnts sake we'll say 3400 lbs...
and we'll stay inthe middle of the road for the HP - 550

that info tells me you want toi be in the 120 mph range for 1/4 mile ( your weight will add or subtract that)

with 4.10's your spinning the motor at 5500 rpm to get 120 mph -
with 4.30's youre at 5700 rpm
with 4.56's youre at 6200
with 4.88's your at 6700

it depepnds if your sill making power at that RPM range - if your motor makes power at 6500 - i'd go with thr 4.56's - since converter slip will add about 5 - 10% to your rpm's - depending on converter.

hope that helps and didnt confuse ya...lol

thanks DJVCUDA,

My car will wiegh in at a light 3200 with me in it (200) more or less LOL

I plan on running a 4 speed tranny.

Thanks for your info so far I know this is slow going but I really appreciate everything!

Thanks
Gary

-
Back