What Gen III Hemi dipstick tube are you running with a swap pan and headers??

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
FABO Friends,

Hoping someone can give me a PN or an application for a HARD TUBE and dipstick for a Gen III Hemi, VVT block, mid sump swap pan...with Headers, such as the one pictured below.

I've ordered in probably a dozen aftermarket, and OE tubes, and they ALL hit the headers besides the holley (which has the mounting tab welded on in the completely wrong position)

The braided flex ones i'm not a fan of, and the 3 i have tried are very poor fitting, and the wrong length.

looking to provide a hard tube on this engine, which we eventually just produce in house, but I need to have one that fits before we get to that point!

our block is a new hellcat BGE block. pretty sure this would have to be a 2009+ VVT stick. pretty sure the earlier engines are different.

Note the one in the picture below is close, but the tab is the wrong height, and we can't take the time to cut/weld 1000 dipsticks a year until we have our own.

THANK YOU ALL in advance if you can provide me with a solution.

03&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=ehUGkAZ_9KIAX_lMM77&tn=3-Vrpv36SFkvgp8h&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg
01&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=I5LaS_ufLakAX8ezbzx&tn=3-Vrpv36SFkvgp8h&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

nc_oc=AQkwf-pJL3i2NMPq99r945lu4y-LjtQeQGIal7HdIK7OiGH9bfobv3lrkex5O7CcAfw&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

9376_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=onDjxWjngG8AX_Ai-tq&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

31000.png

Just a thought for the tube that you show- could you just use a longer stud in that position of the valve cover, use a 1" tall (or whatever) spacer between the valve cover and tab, and top it off with a flange nut? Or instead of a stud, a longer allen screw and spacer (to keep the looks consistent with the rest of the fasteners).

Last edited:
Just a thought for the tube that you show- could you just use a longer stud in that position of the valve cover, use a 1" tall (or whatever) spacer between the valve cover and tab, and top it off with a flange nut? Or instead of a stud, a longer allen screw and spacer (to keep the looks consistent with the rest of the fasteners).
That's 100% a possibility, and will be what I do if we don't fund a better solution.

That's 100% a possibility, and will be what I do if we don't fund a better solution.
I will do my best to take a picture of mine this weekend. I am running a 6.1 with TTI headers and a HDK front K frame. I remember I had to solve that problem but I do not remember how I did it? I fear I may have went the flex route, which you already stipulated you did not want.

I will do my best to take a picture of mine this weekend. I am running a 6.1 with TTI headers and a HDK front K frame. I remember I had to solve that problem but I do not remember how I did it? I fear I may have went the flex route, which you already stipulated you did not want.
Thank you! If I could find a decent one I would entertain it, but the ones we have looked at are an awkward length, or the fitting on the bottom is too sloppy. I speculate most of them were designed for the early 5.7, which I think is different than vvt Era. But I'm merely guessing. I hadn't ran oem data to confirm. I was annoyed after the 5th one still didn't fit lol

Thank you! If I could find a decent one I would entertain it, but the ones we have looked at are an awkward length, or the fitting on the bottom is too sloppy. I speculate most of them were designed for the early 5.7, which I think is different than vvt Era. But I'm merely guessing. I hadn't ran oem data to confirm. I was annoyed after the 5th one still didn't fit lol
If you got really bored you could likely sroll thru my build thread as I typically gave my part numbers for everything. And I had quite a bit of detail around the pan etc. I Had all kind of pan drama as the year of donor car and block we’re not same years. And yep mine was when they changed the crank tooth qty. which I failed to remember when I was doing initial start up! Arghh!

If you got really bored you could likely sroll thru my build thread as I typically gave my part numbers for everything. And I had quite a bit of detail around the pan etc. I Had all kind of pan drama as the year of donor car and block we’re not same years. And yep mine was when they changed the crank tooth qty. which I failed to remember when I was doing initial start up! Arghh!
It's funny, building this 426 gen iii hemi reminds me of building my 600hp, 408 SB, 15 years ago.....there are no books.....there are no manuals....there are not 1000 people before you that have done this same thing and documented everything. Most notably, as this becomes the new "LS" Of the aftermarket and gains support, and new products are developed, I have learned that we are going to have to develop everything from scratch, to our spec and QC, BC the current product offerings, leave a ton to be desired.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Chrysler.

Everything seems to be the impossible,
Nothing “you” need is made already unless you make it.
If it is not for an oval or bow tie- lol!
Been a Chrysler fan for over 40 years and honestly it is getting better but sadly the market is changing again and these ole petro drinking beasts are going by the way side. Thank you for all you do keeping our hobby going. Syleng1

It might be worth a shot to try the truck dipstick and tube, #53021322AF . Not sure if it will hit somewhere but the bend and mounting points are different than what's pictured in OP.

You did use a braided one, and made a spacer to mount it to the valve cover bolt. I think we will probably keep the holley hard tube, and make a spacer also until we make our own stick. Thanks!
upload_2022-8-20_9-48-33.png

It might be worth a shot to try the truck dipstick and tube, #53021322AF . Not sure if it will hit somewhere but the bend and mounting points are different than what's pictured in OP.
Boy that one is a snake! But my father does have that Era ram, so I will crawl under it and check it out.

You did use a braided one, and made a spacer to mount it to the valve cover bolt. I think we will probably keep the holley hard tube, and make a spacer also until we make our own stick. Thanks! View attachment 1715973029
To your point, when I did it just a mere 3-4 years ago there was just nothing in the way of support. I had to fabricate and solve every honking issue. It is way better today and much more supported by secondary market but by no means simple like LS simple. You will still need to be creative and tenacious to get it done! We are rooting for ya!

To your point, when I did it just a mere 3-4 years ago there was just nothing in the way of support. I had to fabricate and solve every honking issue. It is way better today and much more supported by secondary market but by no means simple like LS simple. You will still need to be creative and tenacious to get it done! We are rooting for ya!
Oh it's done...just confirming last minute pricing and parts availability before launching

FABO Friends,

Hoping someone can give me a PN or an application for a HARD TUBE and dipstick for a Gen III Hemi, VVT block, mid sump swap pan...with Headers, such as the one pictured below.

I've ordered in probably a dozen aftermarket, and OE tubes, and they ALL hit the headers besides the holley (which has the mounting tab welded on in the completely wrong position)

The braided flex ones i'm not a fan of, and the 3 i have tried are very poor fitting, and the wrong length.

looking to provide a hard tube on this engine, which we eventually just produce in house, but I need to have one that fits before we get to that point!

our block is a new hellcat BGE block. pretty sure this would have to be a 2009+ VVT stick. pretty sure the earlier engines are different.

Note the one in the picture below is close, but the tab is the wrong height, and we can't take the time to cut/weld 1000 dipsticks a year until we have our own.

View attachment 1715972861View attachment 1715972862
View attachment 1715972863
View attachment 1715972864
View attachment 1715972865
Just add a spacer in underneath. No harm no foul. You’re asking for perfect fitting parts on custom cars. Perfect world means producing something that works without or just adding an aluminum washer and longer bolt

edit: noticed this was mentioned. Would be nice if someone could make proper working items for our cars eventually hmm

Just add a spacer in underneath. No harm no foul. You’re asking for perfect fitting parts on custom cars. Perfect world means producing something that works without or just adding an aluminum washer and longer bolt

edit: noticed this was mentioned. Would be nice if someone could make proper working items for our cars eventually hmm

I think you missed that Johnny works for Blueprint Engines and is working on a part that needs to fit 1000's of motors, not a one off situation. This isn't a personal build, it's R&D for use poor slobs that might order one of his motors and complain about how the dipstick tube has to have this some dumb spacer that has to be removed when I remove the valve covers.

I think you missed that Johnny works for Blueprint Engines and is working on a part that needs to fit 1000's of motors, not a one off situation. This isn't a personal build, it's R&D for use poor slobs that might order one of his motors and complain about how the dipstick tube has to have this some dumb spacer that has to be removed when I remove the valve covers.
Well i mean… you can create a spacer or make your own dipstick tab. Mopar didn’t cater for aftermarket usage.. so if you’re not going to buy one of every one and find it out, which my asking the question on here is doing in a way to eliminate R&D, then there’s only 3 options.

I worked with Porsche Stuff for a few years, I understand perfectionism and perfectionist and how crappy factory parts can be made too. So I understand looking for a better solution, but if there isn’t one on the market (factory or not) and you’re not wanting a spacer, then the last option is do it yourself.

So “i” would say the easiest is a spacer. If you have people looking that closely to notice a spacer, you have someone that’s going to find something else wrong too. So in the end I’m saying, take the easiest route that gets the job done “properly” without wasting too much time until a better solution can be had

Also… you still gotta remove the bolts.. so a spacer makes no difference.. and even then add it on to the valve cover so it’s part of it if you wanted to

FABO Friends,

View attachment 1715972861View attachment 1715972862

I just noticed the aluminum valve covers. Could it be that the plastic OEM VC's are thicker there and that is why things don't match up?

I just noticed the aluminum valve covers. Could it be that the plastic OEM VC's are thicker there and that is why things don't match up?
From what I see on mine, yes… stocks are thicker. Also the metal ones are taller so rhey mess with throttle cable fitment too

Thanks for all that guys, they are holley manufactured valve covers and a holley manufactured dipstick. As stated I ordered 3 or 4 oems, which was just a crap shoot. Was wondering if anyone had a better solution. No worries, we will develop our own which was always the plan. Just wondered if there was a better mousetrap before I picked one to start with.

Thanks for all that guys, they are holley manufactured valve covers and a holley manufactured dipstick. As stated I ordered 3 or 4 oems, which was just a crap shoot. Was wondering if anyone had a better solution. No worries, we will develop our own which was always the plan. Just wondered if there was a better mousetrap before I picked one to start with.
Hey! I would do the same thing. I enjoy R&D, and asking for help is half the battle that could save half the time. Look forward to seeing the progress and I am happy the market is coming around for them

Hey! I would do the same thing. I enjoy R&D, and asking for help is half the battle that could save half the time. Look forward to seeing the progress and I am happy the market is coming around for them
FABO Friends,

View attachment 1715972861

View attachment 1715972862

So what is the part # for the dipstick and tube shown in the picture posted, or the application? Fitment looks like it may work well for my install and since I only plan on doing it once I don’t mind modification to mounting tab

Just ordered the Holley tube #302-74. We’ll see how it works. ‘70 dart/6.4/HDK/TTI headers/Holley swap pan. (Waiting for the pan and dipstick tube at the moment).

Mike

FYI I got my pan and dipstick installed, same Holley one that you have in your original post. Factory valve covers fit the same. I just re-used one of the taller valve cover studs that I removed off the engine in the first place and it fits perfectly. I'll snap a picture later, don't have my phone on me at the moment.

Mike @ HCA

-
Back