What have I gotten myself into?

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
So I was sitting here contemplating my build and where I've taken it to. What started as a quick strip and repaint has morphed into what has to be the biggest project I've ever undertaken on one of my own cars. So here is a rundown of the huge mess I've gotten myself into including pictures from the ebay ad I saw when I was shopping for a nice clean a-body.

So first round of pictures is this time last year car has not been touched by my hands yet and is a 27k mile /6 powered cruiser.

Look how clean those quarters are (little did I know the dpassenger side hid a good 1/4 inch of bondo)

Scamp.jpg

scamp4.jpg

Scamp2.jpg

scamp3.jpg

Then we got into the whole "Black out" look and we started flat blacking out all of the trim on the car. Little did I know this was the start of my downward spiral into doing a full custom build. Again it's still a good clean cruiser but every time I turn the key I'm reminded of the slant under the hood so the brain starts turning and I get the bug to do something bigger.

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

Now that last pic in that group says why I needed to address the paint as you can see it was actually flaking off. I ignored that and since I didn't have the budget for a motor yet I decided to get crazy on the green interior. Black was a much better choice and with some fabric from Joanne's and a couple cans of Vinyl die we got everything Black.

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

Then I got an offer from a buddy to get the car painted for super cheap and he wanted to do all kinds of custom work to help promote his new business so I said fine. we stripped the car down for paint in late August in hope that the paint would be done by November. Well November rolled around and the car was still sitting in his lot untouched so even though he was "doing me a favor" I got ticked and pulled the car out of his hands. We decided at that point to try and at least clean up the engine compartment by stripping the paint off and we were just gonna paint it but somewhere along the lines I lost my mind and we started doing things Chip Foose would say WOW you guys are doing that?

fenderwell.jpg

fenderwell2.jpg

cowl2.jpg

cowl.jpg

firewall3.jpg

firewall.jpg

firewall4.jpg

firewall5.jpg

Well that paint is history. It's still gonna be 2 tone but it will be Blue and Grey with a silver stripe separating it.

Like I said before...dude, I love the rims...and those will be the same kind I am going with on my Duster, except 17's.

I am glad you are addressing the paint, I didn't want to say anything but....IMHO...that color combo was hideous....Blue and Silver will be a great improvement over that.

The 71-74 Dart bumper is a nice touch..

Got a 318-340-360-440 lined up yet? :twisted:

You have a good start, keep rollin!

Great looking car!
Story is similiar to what happened when a friend pulled his 72 Camaro into my shop for a quick paint. Quarters replaced badly 1/2 inch bondo etc.
Now car has all new back half...quarters, tail light panel, drop offs, inner fenders etc.

Yours will look great when completed; and a heck of alot more fun than working on a Chebby.

Like I said before...dude, I love the rims...and those will be the same kind I am going with on my Duster, except 17's.

I am glad you are addressing the paint, I didn't want to say anything but....IMHO...that color combo was hideous....Blue and Silver will be a great improvement over that.

The 71-74 Dart bumper is a nice touch..

Got a 318-340-360-440 lined up yet? :twisted:

You have a good start, keep rollin!
Well I bought a 318 with a 904 a few months back that ended up being Junk so after some thought and a purchase of another 318 (supposedly running) I am going to put the running 318 in while I build a 390 Stroker. We should have our 4-Speed hump this week and I'm watching a set of pedals on ebay right now soooooo. All I'll need after that is my 4 link kit and a Dana 60 housing and the drivetrain will be done.

Can't wait to see where this goes.
Yeah me too. I never thought this was gonna get this deep. I knew when I bought the car that I was gonna do Paint heck thats why I bought it the car was straight and rust free so I figured a quick paint job adn a V8 swap and I was done. Well I got lied to by the previous owner he said he took the car down to bare metal before he sprayed it and as I've found out he didn't even scuff the 25 year old respray the car got way back when.

Nice looking build man, It will all be worth it at the end. I keep telling myself the same thing. But when you out and about and people give you that :thumbup: that makes it all better.

Sounds like normal to me.. starts with a buff, then maybe a repaint, then next thing you know, parts are all over the place, and you're staring at a bare unibody lol..

Grant

No updates for a few weeks, we've both been busy. Need to finish the bodywork, but the custom stuff is a real headscratcher :)

-
Back