Big Cam (Hydraulic)
Torker 2
750 DP Holley
Crane Ignition

Edit 1.88 /2.02 valves iron heads
273 rocker gear

Cheers

Id say anywhere from 470-500...

My 408 isnt crazy, but its definitely not basic... it made 533 HP and 513 Ft Lbs.
I have ported eddy heads, hyd. roller cam, victor 340 manifold, 10:1 cr, 1.6 rocker arms...a few other little things..

I'd expect something around 425-440 and all done by 5K rpm. You should spend on the top end.

years ago I was messing around with Desktop Dyno,I entered the specks for a 360 and got a certain hp number. I then changed the specks to make it a 408,with no other changes,it said that I woukd have gained only 15 hp.

Dennis Jokela

its because you have to use specs.... specks dont work right! LOL

...and that thing can make 500 but it needs the heads and it needs good valvetrain set up correctly.

Whats "big" and your heads are stock 2.02"/1.60"?

Thanks fellas

So far I have run a 12.3 @ 111 with this combo and with some online calculators this gives me around 320 Rear wheel HP.

Racing tonight and was just wondering what improvement I may see (if any)
Was told though that my heads have had quite a bit of work done on them
to suit the cam specs. Will have find out the exact specs in due course.

Cheers

B

Most ported factory castings simply can't move enough air to make big numbers on a 4" arm. If you're already at 375-ish you have room to improve if your heads were ported. Your heads should be flowing somewhere above 220-230 depending on the work and your HP is low for that much airflow. So something's off. "quite a bit of work" doesnt always mean big performance.

-
Back