What if?

-

A56

MoPar Affliction
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Copy and pasted this from a book by Steve Magnante
Fact 9: Why didn’t Plymouth counter the 1965 Shelby GT350 Mustang with a similar Barracuda? The Formula S was a good start, but not nearly as hardcore as Shelby’s offering. According to research conducted recently by SCCA racer Mike Ritz, it almost happened.

Ritz (who currently campaigns the Team Starfish 1966 Formula S Barracuda in vintage road race events) uncovered a 13-page FIA homologation request, on Chrysler letterhead, claiming that between November 15 and December 15, 1965, Plymouth built 500 1966 Barracuda GTs. The goal was to secure assurance they’d be legal for competition in FIA-sanctioned Group 3 GT road racing events. Each Barracuda GT was purportedly powered by a 318 small-block (a year before it’s official introduction for the 1967 model year) with an aluminum intake manifold, Holley 4160 carburetor, 8-quart oil pan, steel tube headers, and full-length dual exhaust.

Other exotica included an 83 ⁄4 rear axle, 11-inch front disc brakes, 10-inch rear drum brakes, 15×7 cast-aluminum wheels, with steel rims, a thin Plexiglas rear window, a trunk-mounted battery, twin 20-pound front bucket seats, and, in place of the rear seat, a 22-gallon auxiliary fuel tank, which, combined with the stock 18-gallon unit, allowed 40 gallons of fuel for endurance races.

The crazy part is that the FIA Standard Certificate of Minimum Production document is signed by Bob Cahill (Manager, Special Performance Events) and H. E. Weiss (Manager, Valiant Product Planning).

So did these cars actually get built? Unfortunately the answer is no. Perhaps Plymouth witnessed Shelby’s sale of a mere 561 GT350 Mustangs in 1965 and got cold feet. The concept was revisited—with excellent results—four years later with the arrival of the 1970 AAR ’Cuda.

For years there were published reports of a '67 273 head with an odd intake valve size (2658920 – 1967, 273 LA-series small-block, 1.88/1.50 valves A Guide To Mopar V8 Cylinder Head And Block Casting Numbers--never seen one, never heard of one measured like that out there, never found a 1.88 valve in any pre 68 340 parts books). It was a typo that was repeated everywhere. I asked a guy who had one (D-Dart) and he said the valves were stock diameter. Even the D-Dart TSB never called out different valves but did mention you could put small hemi intake valves in there from a 331 or something.

Historical perspective- Shelby's car was a real race car and unproven. For a large factory to tool up, this was highly speculative. Drag racing was where the attention of the factory was, hence the '68 Hemi Cudas. Looking back, how we wish they had built them. Maybe we would have gotten the E-body AAR's by 1968!

It would have been nice if Chrysler put more effort and money into road racing they may have actually had a long-term presence. I know when I take my Duster to time-attack events the few people who even know what car it is mention they only knew old Mopars were good at drag racing and NASCAR. It's a shame because these cars have way better suspension than the GM and Ford stuff from the period. I read Carroll Shelby had to make some pretty significant changes to the Mustang/Falcon front end to make the cars actually handle.

It would have been nice if Chrysler put more effort and money into road racing they may have actually had a long-term presence. I know when I take my Duster to time-attack events the few people who even know what car it is mention they only knew old Mopars were good at drag racing and NASCAR. It's a shame because these cars have way better suspension than the GM and Ford stuff from the period. I read Carroll Shelby had to make some pretty significant changes to the Mustang/Falcon front end to make the cars actually handle.
I agree 100%. So much untapped promise in other venues. These guys made history in their 67 Barracuda.

cvbnxcvxcvbcv.JPG

You also have to understand that Ma NEVER had the big bucks budget of Ford/ GM

You also have to understand that Ma NEVER had the big bucks budget of Ford/ GM
I think it was getting more of a return spending their money on racers like Sox & Martin and Richard Petty than being poorer than GM or Ford.

-
Back