What is a cast iron 2bbl intake worth

-
Super six setups I say worth $250-350 if complete with all the brackets, kickdown. Last one I got came off a junker pickup for $75 but it was not in a boneyard.

Yup. That's what I've gotten for a few complete sets in the last 3 or 4 years.
Complete incl. kickdown, brackets, hardware, carb, cable.

Last edited:
Gone are the days of being able to drive around in junk and being able to scrounge around the junkyards for parts to be able to go week to week on. Have a few too many on the weekend and take out a fender on the guard rail during the adventure driving? Weren't no problem to go the next day and grab one from a Valiant the used parts place that told us "Our parts have experience!" Can't help but to ask,

Some people never miss an opportunity, even an imaginary one, to blame Obama. Fact is, the oldest cars eligible in the Cash for Clunkers thing were 1984 models. Go look it up. We didn't lose any A-bodies, and nobody lost out on a '67 Camaro because of the Obama Administration's C4C program.

Some oil companies ran their own C4C deals; most of them petered out 20 years ago, but even if that's the kind that got the '67 Camaro, it happened 'cuz nobody else bought the car, even though anyone coulda.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^The vast number of old cars crushed in recent times was when scrap steel went to record highs. Maybe the govn't was behind that some!??? Don't know. Then you can get new county ordances that require all cars sitting on private property that can be seen, to be tagged or suffer a large daily fine, I have seen that in places too.
Bottom line s prices for out used parts goes up and supply continues to drop. Maybe one day, all our old projects will run on modern hemis? I started to also say Magnums but those are getting old but thank goodness still plentiful.
Around here, just try finding a boneyard with anything older than 2000!
Everyday, I get closer to just saying, I am done with projects, hunting/buying parts,.......I love the hunt and the build, but over the years I have bought a few well done cars for very fair prices and reaped a lot of fun from those. Maybe a $1500 project is no bargain and a $10,000 pretty much done car is!!!!!!! Let another recession hit, high gas prices, and see how many nice cars $10,000 will buy!!!

My thought is $200 for an alum 2 bbl, $100 for an iron 2 bbl, and $20 for an iron 1 bbl. Why fool w/ 2 bbl when a shop now sells an MPFI alum intake for $850 or will adapt an alum 4 bbl one you provide for $480. Add something like a Holley Commander 950 controller ($400 ebay) and a throttle body and you have a modern engine control, especially w/ an 8-pin HEI (950 can also control spark timing). A carburetor will always have severe limitations, w/ only possible advantage that your wife may never be able to drive your car (choke and all that).

Some people never miss an opportunity, even an imaginary one, to blame Obama. Fact is, the oldest cars eligible in the Cash for Clunkers thing were 1984 models. Go look it up. We didn't lose any A-bodies, and nobody lost out on a '67 Camaro because of the Obama Administration's C4C program.

Some oil companies ran their own C4C deals; most of them petered out 20 years ago, but even if that's the kind that got the '67 Camaro, it happened 'cuz nobody else bought the car, even though anyone coulda.

C'mon. There's plenty of blame deserved by any politician we might care to name; we don't need to go making stuff up.

It was in Hot Rod magazine. Of course, that doesn't mean it happened. But the article was there. Did my post mention Obama? I don't think so.

at the cost of ruffly 1500. for efi. how long would it take to break even?
or just keep carb.
my mother drove carb cars.
so why can't wife?
efi is less problems? maybe?

at the cost of ruffly 1500. for efi. how long would it take to break even?
or just keep carb.
my mother drove carb cars.
so why can't wife?
efi is less problems? maybe?

could be your mom drove a car during an era that fuel was formulated for carbs ?

$100 for the 2bbl intake, $150 for the A/T linkage. 2bbl is pretty easy to make with a cut off wheel and a carb adapter. Id definately try to make one with a $10 1bbl intake (I still got 1 and an AL one with EFI bung holes) and a $10 adapter plate for that kind of money. if you got a manual transmission, dont need the linkage. Out here in CA, you would only find them on trucks.

could be your mom drove a car during an era that fuel was formulated for carbs ?
Carb problems? Modern junk fuel and choke/cold weather starts.

Back in the day, kids, all kids learned to drive a stick first , usually in someone's cow pasture in their old farm truck.

What's wrong with the fuel now. I daily drive a carb with today's fuel and never have a problem. It's called tuning.

If anything this new fuel never gums up and will completely evaporate before it will ever clog anything up. Might be why we don't need that really caustic carb cleaner dip anymore

Yeah that cash for clunkers crap really put a dent in us. I remember the article in Hot Rod magazine where they ran down to a local yard to get a 67 Camaro. 6 cyl car but it was straight. They couldn't get it because of the stupid law. It got crushed. Hot Rod wrote a really nasty article about how messed up the law was.
umm.. they actually saved that 67 camaro, its david freighburgurs crusher camaro that's been driven on roadkill and roadkill garage

What's wrong with the fuel now. I daily drive a carb with today's fuel and never have a problem. It's called tuning. If anything this new fuel never gums up and will completely evaporate before it will ever clog anything up.

The only way today's fuel is inferior is that it's diluted with anhydrous ethanol, most often 10%. At the 10% blend rate, the resultant fuel contains between two and three percent less energy per volume unit than straight gasoline—which means if you get 15 mpg on straight gasoline, you'll get 14.6 to 14.7 on the E10 gasohol, with all other factors equal. The bigger problem with anhydrous ethanol in gasoline is corrosion of fuel system metals. There's a weird, cheap, very effective, win-win-win solution to this problem that also negates the 2 to 3 percent energy deficit, but for some strange reason it's not being used.

Other than the alcohol issue, today's gasoline is a vastly superior product to the dirty gunk of the past.

Last edited:
umm.. they actually saved that 67 camaro, its david freighburgurs crusher camaro that's been driven on roadkill and roadkill garage

But…no…butbut…that isn't true! You're fibbing! That Camaro was crushed in front of eleventy-five hundred people who wanted to buy it! Obama himself operated the crusher, and cackled as he did it! He went, "MWAAAAAhahahahahaha!!!! It's MINE, all MINE, and you all can't have it!!!". It was all written up in Hot Rod magazine!

Last edited:
If we All had a crystal ball, or go back in time with a bottomless wallet.the stories of cars we let go for dirt, or passed on.
As far as politics, lets keep that at another forum. Just like religion. These threads can go off the rails real fast!
Most here enjoy the education or giving advice.

If we All had a crystal ball, or go back in time with a bottomless wallet.the stories of cars we let go for dirt, or passed on.
As far as politics, lets keep that at another forum. Just like religion. These threads can go off the rails real fast!
Most here enjoy the education or giving advice.
Well said.

Cash for clunkers screwed people like Me, the ones who drove PFI FWD 4 bangers w & w/o turbos for 30 F#@KIN years, but gave the smackoff in His/Her Navigator whose idea of 4-wheelin' consisted of driving thru the grass 'cause the kid left the bike in the drive a nice chunk of $$$ towards a new ride. Thx, Gubment!
Oh, right, ..........the intake is worth whatever someone is willing to pay............

There's also the parallel 2bbl intake mod. Photo documentation of a very well done such conversion is here. Originally conceived as a way to keep the pre-'67 rotating-rod accelerator pedal and linkage, but given how scarce Super Six kickdown parts have grown, this parallel setup (along with kickdown options described in this thread) is worth considering for the later cars, too.

I have one...I told a buddy that I'd sell it to him for $75 with the exhaust manifold and a carburetor.
I had a feeling that I sold it too cheap!
Can't back out though. A deal is a deal in my opinion.
STS Super six 1.jpg
STS Super six 3.jpg

-
Back