What is a good temperature

-

jjkeenan

Reaction score
Have a 62 valiant 225 cu in with automatic, Spotless radiator(flow tested,) and block new water pump and 160 thermostat. after about three miles at 60 or so on a 90 degree day the running temp hits 185-190 never boils over or bangs etc? all belts are tight and airflow clear. Thought this could be a little high. Timing is spot on at 2 1/2 before TDC. Maybe this is normal and maybe not does not effect running or idle ???

That's a good temperature to run but it needs the right thermostat in it. Probably a 185-195 is what it calls for. If it was mine, I would raise the initial timing up some too.

i often wonder why guys put 160 degree thermostats in their engines.I think my '69 FSM lists a 195 degree thermostat for the slant six.

i often wonder why guys put 160 degree thermostats in their engines.I think my '69 FSM lists a 195 degree thermostat for the slant six.

I know all the Chevy guys run the coldest thermostat they can find and you cannot tell them any different. They slap will not listen.

I think the logic goes like this...

It too hot is bad then too cold must be good.

Trouble is engineers worked out the calculations and trial and error to find the best temp to run a particular engine taking thermal expansion into account etc.

That timing seems late. I'm no expert, by any means, but isn't 2.5 BTDC pretty late? Later timing runs hotter, right? (I seem to recall reading that in Corky Bell's book on turbo charging, but maybe it was only in reference to the exhaust temperature because so much of the burn is after the exhaust valve opens.) What is your timing with advance?

I'm probably totally wrong... just curious what the experts have to say about that timing.

Have a 62 valiant 225 cu in with automatic, Spotless radiator(flow tested,) and block new water pump and 160 thermostat. after about three miles at 60 or so on a 90 degree day the running temp hits 185-190 never boils over or bangs etc? all belts are tight and airflow clear. Thought this could be a little high. Timing is spot on at 2 1/2 before TDC. Maybe this is normal and maybe not does not effect running or idle ???
The stat sets the MINIMUM running temperature. If the temp falls below the setpoint, then the stat closes and tries to maintain its rating.
The cooling system efficiency sets the upper limit. By 30/35 mph ram air is the major player in heat removal.
Between zero mph and 30/35, is where most problems arise. If your system maintains 185/190 in that speed range, then it is doing just fine.
Go back to post #2
My slanty like 10* initial, but that requires reworking the distributor, to limit the WOT full-load timing, to prevent detonation on the 87E10 I run in it..

That timing seems late. I'm no expert, by any means, but isn't 2.5 BTDC pretty late? Later timing runs hotter, right? (I seem to recall reading that in Corky Bell's book on turbo charging, but maybe it was only in reference to the exhaust temperature because so much of the burn is after the exhaust valve opens.) What is your timing with advance?

I'm probably totally wrong... just curious what the experts have to say about that timing.

No, you are correct. I would would want more initial advance on mine. I have the 170 in my 64 on about 16* initial and it runs great.

Vacuum advanced installed?
Engines want timing to run cool and give some performance.
Also, most parts live shorter when operated in high(er) temps; rubberhoses, gaskets, oil.
Although most parts are designed for that, I personally don't like to run on the edge and have some added safety-margin.

Vacuum advanced installed?
Engines want timing to run cool and give some performance.
Also, most parts live shorter when operated in high(er) temps; rubberhoses, gaskets, oil.
Although most parts are designed for that, I personally don't like to run on the edge and have some added safety-margin.

My 505 wont even run right till its been 185-190 for a bit -------------

Are you sure this isn't a mixture-issue?

No, it developed after I installed the victor intake , just takes it longer to warm up cold manifold -------have had to lean it down because of the added flow, still tuning.

-
Back