What is it worth?

-

mpgmike

Reaction score
I'm getting a bit tired of folks jumping on this (and other) Forum(s); their first post is, "I have a car/part and want to know what it's worth". They can do their research, post whatever they have for sale and see what feedback they get, but asking what it's worth drives me bonkers! The replies are biased, to say the least. If the prelicant happens to have said car/part, then it's worth a fortune. If replicant does not have said car/part, then it's worth a pittance. I don't even bother to open those threads, as I already know how the replies will unfold.

Furthermore, it isn't very stealth; if you want to sell something that has actual value, then do your research and price it accordingly. If you think your 1976 Dart Sedan with rusted floors and a /6 AT is worth $10k, then offer it for sale and see if there are any suckers willing to pay your asking price.

I'm just getting so sick of the "What is it worth??" threads!!

They just want to skirt the rules mostly and make a for sale thread right out in open forum. I mean seriously, if you have internet enough to ask what something's worth on a forum, you have internet enough to research it yourself.

sometimes the comps aren't out there. or sometimes it's hard to make a valuation estimate off of something in comparison: I saw xyz sold for [blank] but that was a rusted out shitbox, and xyz 1A sold for [blank] and that was at Barrett Jackson. my car is nice, and has some tasteful upgrades so I'm kind of in this nebulous middle area.

so I get that.

I also understand that everybody is trying to get the best sale so pricing can be hard when you want to get the most money you can but also not be on mars with your asking price that'll turn off a bunch of prospective buyers from the jump.

with parts though, there's enough comps floating around out there between ebay, other boards and online retailers.

I'm getting a bit tired of folks jumping on this (and other) Forum(s); their first post is, "I have a car/part and want to know what it's worth". They can do their research, post whatever they have for sale and see what feedback they get, but asking what it's worth drives me bonkers! The replies are biased, to say the least. If the prelicant happens to have said car/part, then it's worth a fortune. If replicant does not have said car/part, then it's worth a pittance. I don't even bother to open those threads, as I already know how the replies will unfold.

Furthermore, it isn't very stealth; if you want to sell something that has actual value, then do your research and price it accordingly. If you think your 1976 Dart Sedan with rusted floors and a /6 AT is worth $10k, then offer it for sale and see if there are any suckers willing to pay your asking price.

Just hit the report and state a complaint

I understand the OP's point, but this "What's it worth" thread will have ZERO effects on every other "What's it worth" thread. Just scroll on by, like any other thread.

I sold a 1959 Imperial about 2 years ago, but started advertising it about 5 years ago. I priced it at $3500, and had absolutely no takers. 3 years later, a fellow in Texas snagged it and couldn't believe I was selling it for so little. I get how value changes over time.
Front2_Web.png

Isnt this What makes the internet awesome? 30 years ago I had to write a letter to find out what my **** was worth.

it is worth whatever you are willing to sell it for, as well as whatever someone is willing to pay for it
somewhere along the lines, those two numbers will be the same

(though as mike pointed out, that may be a few years)

I sold a 1959 Imperial about 2 years ago, but started advertising it about 5 years ago. I priced it at $3500, and had absolutely no takers. 3 years later, a fellow in Texas snagged it and couldn't believe I was selling it for so little. I get how value changes over time.
View attachment 1716024936
Nice ! I had a 59 Crown Coupe with 74,000 miles . Blk with Silver leather swivel seats , Cruise , Auto dimmers , Music Master Search ,Power Antenna…. And it all worked !

They post the question for the same reason that some people ask "what's the spark plug gap of a stock '72 318?". They want someone else to do their own research. The search would take less time than posting the question did.
Just like people asking 15 grand for a filthy car that "just needs to be cleaned up a bit"... Geez, if you're going to ask somebody to part with that kind of cash, at least take a half hour to vacuum the mouse turds out of it. Nah, the next guy can do that...
I know what I got. I just need you to tell me what it is and what it is worth.

Some people just need some form of social interaction/conversation, even if it is online. Some people are looking for someone to save them the hassle of posting a for sale ad, by having someone answer their post with "i'll buy it". Some people just don't feel like figuring it out themselves.

My oldest son, Jacob, and I had this very conversation on our day trip to drag the Duster shell home the other day. He agrees with everything mentioned above, for the most part. As do I.

However, in an effort help keep the hobby affordable for all, I will occasionally respond to them if I have recently purchased or sold a similar item. Mostly because I either got a smoking deal or made someone a smoking deal.
Case in point - Unless it has been totally rebuilt drum to drum, I cannot believe what some people pay for an 8.75 A body rearend. In the last 12 years, I've never paid more than $250 for a usable complete A body 8.75 rear. (4 of them). After cleaning them up, I sold two of them for $500 or less. The latest was as about 2 months ago I scored an 8.75 3.23 geared Sure Grip drum to drum out of a 68 Dart for $100. So the brakes were rusted to the drums - big deal. I still got the win. I am donating it to my 2nd son's (Joshua) Dart Sport that we just brought home for $400. Easily a $1500 car as found.
Earlier this month, on his behalf, I scored for my son's Dart Sport everything he needs for the brakes on said rear for $60 delivered!! Backing plates, drums, all hardware and shoes.
The Duster shell we just brought home on Tuesday? I paid $200 for it and burned $120 of diesel because we need the roof skin. I just saw another post yesterday where a member here paid $500 for a roof (admittingly cleaner than ours) and the junkyard sold him the wrong one.

OP, you are right. All it takes is a little research, maybe an hour worth of searching the item and seeing where the market is as far as price. i have noticed, different parts of the country some folks think 100 bucks is the end of the world while other parts 100 bucks is like 20 bucks etc. me personally i can leave the house get lunch get gas get a case of beer and 100 bucks is gone. I dont cry about it is what it is...

Me too. They are a pain for the staff because there will always be that vulture that will jump in and offer to buy and then we have a sale thread in the wrong forum. I will delete a offer to keep the thread on track but will remove the thread if it get's out of hand. And of course that requires that we constantly monitor the thread to keep it on track. There is a trove of information here and all the members need to do is use the search function to see what those cars or parts have been selling for.

They just want to skirt the rules mostly and make a for sale thread right out in open forum. I mean seriously, if you have internet enough to ask what something's worth on a forum, you have internet enough to research it yourself.

you're right you know..jpg

View attachment 1716024936
I'll give you $2000. PM sent. :poke:

:rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
A somewhat different point of view.

I understand supply and demand, as well as things are worth what someone will pay. Where I differ from many of the opinions here is I am not a flipper, a stripper, or a professional swap meet vendor. I am a just a hobbiest that neither wants to cheat, or be cheated in a transaction.

I have sold extra stuff for less than I have seen like stuff here, and at swap meets, sale for. Likewise, I have bought stuff, often without negotiating because it was a fair price to me.

If I don’t have an idea of a fair price, I try to research it, ask others, then decide how bad I want it, or want it gone.

Just wondering, do you guys buy or sell real estate without getting price estimates from others?

Just wondering, do you guys buy or sell real estate without getting price estimates from others?
You get comps. Research what similar properties in similar areas have sold for recently, and price accordingly. You do your homework.

Could they be asking so they can make sure they have enough insurance for their whatever and not planning on selling?

Could they be asking so they can make sure they have enough insurance for their whatever and not planning on selling?
Not trying to be difficult, but most insurers will want a professional appraisal if you want above average coverage, not internet opinion.

post whatever they have for sale and see what feedback they get

actually per site rules you aren't allowed to reply to a sale thread with anything other then you are interested.. not allowed to give feedback on a price in a dale thread.

-
Back