What is that?!

-

808-dartGT

Reaction score
I just pulled 1920 carb of my 1964 dart 225, looks like hole was plugged up with epoxy blob, what does it do? Hole looks like original

71AA7F64-B72C-4AB4-BB86-435362AADF4D.jpeg

I figured out, it’s like a breathing opening behind accelerator pump, I guess to detect early leak if diaphragm is failing? I can’t think of any other purpose.. so previous owners long time ago decided to fix it that way, I put it back together and cleaned it up of course with some fresh diaphragms, it’s running ok, gotta tune later.

I doubt it's for the accel pump I'd try and trace it out again. It was considered necessary when the carb was designed..........................

I think the OP is right, its a accelerator pump breather/weep hole. I had one on a 1920 that actually spewed fuel out when the pump seal went bad. It was unreal, a jet of fuel just streaming onto the intake/exhust manifold. I put a pic of it somewhere on this site 5-6 (8!) years ago. IIRC, mine was behind the bowl casting too. Found a great post with a pic and explanation of its purpose.
Holley 1920 carburetor is leaking gas on my 72 /6 duster - Slant Six Forum

Last edited:
-
Back