What is the best black original looking front shock for a 74 Duster?

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Hi Guys: I'll be replacing the front shocks on my slant six 1974 Duster, and I want the original looking black shock. Whaddya think is the best shock for this application? Monroe? Gabriel?

A modern gas charged shock that you paint semi gloss black.

Hi Guys: I'll be replacing the front shocks on my slant six 1974 Duster, and I want the original looking black shock. Whaddya think is the best shock for this application? Monroe? Gabriel?
Find photos of some originals. Might have to look by part number or at some survivor cars. Then you can compare visually to the offering of both brands.

Sachs 030816

7C11B27F-9A60-4B5E-8572-0CC849E91CD1.png

I went with monroes front and rear on mine I left the front ones blue tho! The back ones where already black.

20200516_123233.jpg

20200516_194009.jpg

20200516_191918.jpg

Yikes! That's scary looking with those cinder blocks under there! I wouldn't use those air shocks either. Beside the poor ride quality, if you have one blow out for some reason, under certain circumstances, you might lose control of the car. I saw two different accidents due to sudden air shock failure. Both had oversize tires that the quarter panel would hit if not for the air shocks. One had individual air lines, the other had one line that ganged both sides. The first one, when the line blew due to getting melted on the exhaust pipe, dropped one side down to where the body locked onto that one tire. Car took an immediate turn, ran off the road and into a tree. Second car had both wheels suddenly lock up due to the quarters clamping down on them, and slid to a stop so suddenly (and without brake lights) that the car behind it ran into the back totalling both cars. They figured afterward that the lines didn't have enough slack in them and pulled out of their fittings after hitting a large bump in the road.

Cinder blocks vs harbor freight jack stands! Round 1! Haha

I wouldn't trust my life to either one! :eek:
Me either! I have found that if you turn cider blocks the right way they are pretty strong I also put cat blocks and wood blocks between them and the frame I don't recommend it either but that's all I got Jack stands in unlevel ground is 10x more dangerous that cat blocks imo. Unfortunately I dont have a garage with concrete floors so I had to make due. Fortunately all that stuff is done I'm ready for tires now!

Cinder blocks turned open end up hold up buildings. What's the problem?

-
Back