What is the right thing to do?

-

greymouser7

Vagrant Vagabond “Veni Vidi Vici”
Reaction score
Friend left his Jeep with me after he got orders to Bangor, Washington. He bought a house here in South East Georgia right before his orders-rents it out.

I am moving, have hauled two Mopars and two trucks of house hold goods, am just finishing up the painting and repairs here before I go.

Can’t get ahold of him via phone, he doesn’t have Facebook.

I have a new mopar friend in Waycross, Ga that hold it for him.

This Jeep has got to go and I know the owner is STRAPPED for cash. (Washington is extremely expensive to live in, 3 military bases located right there, not enough housing {none on base} or much off base).

What is the best/right thing to do?

Let the friend in Waycross hold it. Is he trustworthy? Will he hold it and not sell or destroy it? If you have doubts, bring it here.

I don't mind helping a guy out but when it turns into indefinite storage and they don't have the intention ( nor resources ) of doing something with the vehicle I don't have a problem finding it a new home. Sometimes people have a dream and a friend that offers free storage fuels that dream.

You need to get him to sell it. Sorry but if he can't/ won't pay storage, that is the answer

If you cannot contact him do you at least know the specific base where he is stationed? Write to the base (or try phoning) care/ of the base CO I've lost track, but there also might be some servicman locating services that can locate his base/ unit/ division/ etc

The tenants that are renting his house out will know how to get ahold of him.

Last edited:
not a whole lot of options unless he also left the title with you

Why not move it back to his own property that he is renting out. Let his tenants keep under a tarp. Once it's in his own yard, you're done.

Why not move it back to his own property that he is renting out. Let his tenants keep under a tarp. Once it's in his own yard, you're done.

That is perhaps the best option. Done and DONE.

Kinda what I was thinking. A buddy left his boat in the back yard of his rental in Manhattan KS when he left Ft. Riley. He would write (before cell phones) a couple of us and ask us to make sure the boat was still there. It was when I left for South Korea.

Does this fellow's phone ring into voicemail, or not connected? If the former, then wait as long as you can. Hope he is not deployed.... if on subs, it would be a while to hear back. If you are a retired serviceman trying to help a fellow active duty serviceman, then probably take it to Waycross if that fellow is trustworthy. But IMHO the owner is gonna have to take care of it as soon he gets back onshore.

Ad contact his tenants as suggested to se if they know the status. I would not bring up the vehicle situation with them right nor.

The way I see it if the OP moves it it becomes his liability so to speak, especially if he deposits it somewhere, even the owner's property, that is without express written permission. FIRST step in my mind is to get ahold of the owner. As I said, you should be able to do so through military channels.

-
Back