What is the rpm sweet spot for highway driving

-
getting back to your question about the engines' sweet spot on the highway...
Your cruise rpm must be the highest /most efficient low speed torque rpm and is largely dependent on your cam

And heres how you can get a pretty good idea of where that begins.Put the trans in Neutral/ block the wheels. Start the engine, warm it up to operating temp. Hook up a vacuum guage, and a tach. Make sure all, thats ALL your timing systems have been previously bugged out and are working. Now slowly bring the engine revs up, while watching the V-gauge. When the vacuum stops climbing, note the rpms. Repeat several times. The lowest rpm that this occurs is the point in the revs that the induction system is first becoming efficient. If you are looking for economy,this would be the lowest place to gear your car at cruising speed. If you change anything in the top end or tune, this point can wander around some. Obviously the cam is likely the biggest contributor. But the intake/ exhaust systems move it around and not surprisingly, the ignition timing. Thats why its so important to have a well-tuned vacuum advance system on a mpg oriented combo.
There is nothing stopping you from gearing differently from the V-peak. If you stick close to it or higher, the cost in mpg is not that huge.And think about this; our aero dynamic bricks with their ancient motors, only require something like 50hp to run 70mph. So you will be running almost exclusively on the low speed circuits. If you are at least close on the V-peak thing, tuning those circuits and the cruise timing will get much greater results.Factory stock type 318s, V-peak at or near idle, and carry that peak for a long ways up. Thats why they are able to run 2.76s or even less. The 360 2bbl cam also peaks down low. My 360 with a 230* cam and Airgap dualplane, peaks at 2200rpm. I am geared for 2200@64mph. I also have tuned the snot out of; my cruise carb,( a 600V-sec Holley, making it run as lean as is safely possible), and also my distributor.At 2200 cruise rpm I have up to nearly 60* available of spark advance.If you think that might be excessive, put a scanner on an EFI vehicle some time.
So getting back to your question;Try the V-peak thing, gear it close, and concentrate on the tune.If she gets too sluggish down low, either live with it or get a trans with more gears or a lower first gear in it.
Yeah,one more thing; a carb with metering rods, can be tuned in the cruise circuits really well, and still deliver the goods when you nail it.To get the absolute most out of it though, you will need instrumentation. The Holley type carbs are great for quick and easy power adjustments. Not so much on the cruise circuits. Doable, but a pita.
Our street cars really need 5 speed transmissions.I solved the problem by buying a second car for the highway. Did you know that the GM(dont hate me) 3800 Series 3 with its O/D and loc-up, fwd, cruises at around 1600/65mph, and gets deep into the 30mpgImp? thats at least 30mpgUS.
PS. it really is in the tune. On a 12 hour trip to Shakopee in 2004, when I still had the 223* cam in my 360,and the cruiser carb 600, I was able to tune that combo into the 40mpgImp. Thats 32mpgUS, for you Southern friends.( Not everything is bigger in Texas,lol.) At that time I was running the Mopar O/D box, with the GV behind it.I was geared for 1500/62mph. It was too easy.
Awritenuffsaid.

I think that last post by AJ is the winner of the thread...

BTW RustyRatRod you guys must have different highways than here we got 65 mph speed limit going through downtown areas and 75 everywhere else. Heck i once hung at 100 mph for like 5 minutes on an open stretch in the country between cities :D

BTW RustyRatRod you guys must have different highways than here we got 65 mph speed limit going through downtown areas and 75 everywhere else. Heck i once hung at 100 mph for like 5 minutes on an open stretch in the country between cities :D
RRR Stuck in the 70's , 55 is so last century

IMHO if you have enough power the hi way sweep spot is as low of RPM that the engine is not over loaded.

I enjoyed reading through all the comments and the discussion. I had 2.76 and it seemed sluggish. I have 2.94 in it now and I can tell a "seat in the pants" difference. I'll probably try the 3.23 but, I'm pretty sure the 3.91 is going to be too much. I don't have a tach and the figures are calculated. I don't drive highway everyday but, when I do, I'm running 70-75. Maybe that's too much for an old car. #-o I really don't care about gas mileage, I just didn't want to cause undue wear and tear on the 318. I may need to rethink the low gear trans or stall for take off. I'm probably not appreciating the quickness of the teen. I'm going to let all this roll around in my noggin. Thanks Craig

No, I just don't speed. It's costly.

Me and sis drove my dads early SC400 from the OC to Austin, TX and didnt see under 90 from about Palm Springs, CA to the TX line. talk about a cannon ball run! Left here at 7:30 PM and made El Paso by sunrise. I dont think our mileage was that good but that car didnt seem to care what speed we drove it at. That quad cam V8 motor is balanced to sick specs. I think it was at about 3500 at 95

I can't imagine running 3000 rpms for 100 miles!

My Mazda is around 3,000 @ 70-75 or so. 18" wheels, 6 speed manual trans. It's got a 3.35 gear in it. I drive 120 miles/day, mostly highway. Less gear would kinda suck actually. I like the performance - it goes when I want it to and seems to cruise pretty effortlessly, even if it is a little higher RPM than your average econobox. Mileage is OK for a turbo 4 banger, usually 25-26 MPG depending on how much I can stay out of it.

OP would probably be unhappy with anything less than 3.23 if there's any spirited driving involved. Compromises like converter slippage, vehicle weight, tire size and cam - all can be made better with gears.

You can still pick up a 4 speed o/d transmission at a reasonable price ? Low first gear for burnouts and o/d for free way.

No, I just don't speed. It's costly.

Good eyes, tactical driving (knowing where you are), and a radar detector solve that problem. Hell if not that just pull the "2 MPH slower than the speeding car in front of you" trick, nobody goes below 80 in the left lane(s) around here anyway. :glasses7: I hear in places like Texas it's even worse (or better depending on how you look at it lol). Guess I'm just coming up with excuses though as I am a self-proclaimed speed demon

To the OP yes 3.91s will definitely kill your highway cruising ability it will be just like gregpurcell said, driving around in 2nd gear with your current rear gears. I swapped in a set of 4.10s in my Duster to test it out at the drag strip and it got old real fast; I could no longer cruise at 80 with half my powerband left like I could with 2.94s.

And as far as 75 being too much for an old car... Hogwash! lol if your front suspension is in good shape an old Mopar can cruise on the highway as well as any car, better IMO than a lot of newer cars if you put in stiffer torsion bars and better bushings and modify the setup a bit to get more positive caster at the alignment shop. The comment I made about cruising at 100 for 5 minutes that was in the Duster in my sig... never skipped a beat and felt glued to the road the whole time.

EDIT: Although I did discover a minor driveline vibration most likely either due to worn transmission mount or incorrect driveshaft/pinion angle

You don't get it. I don't HAVE a problem because I don't WANT to speed. Get it?

Good eyes, tactical driving (knowing where you are), and a radar detector solve that problem. Hell if not that just pull the "2 MPH slower than the speeding car in front of you" trick, nobody goes below 80 in the left lane(s) around here anyway. :glasses7: I hear in places like Texas it's even worse (or better depending on how you look at it lol). Guess I'm just coming up with excuses though as I am a self-proclaimed speed demon

To the OP yes 3.91s will definitely kill your highway cruising ability it will be just like gregpurcell said, driving around in 2nd gear with your current rear gears. I swapped in a set of 4.10s in my Duster to test it out at the drag strip and it got old real fast; I could no longer cruise at 80 with half my powerband left like I could with 2.94s.

And as far as 75 being too much for an old car... Hogwash! lol if your front suspension is in good shape an old Mopar can cruise on the highway as well as any car, better IMO than a lot of newer cars if you put in stiffer torsion bars and better bushings and modify the setup a bit to get more positive caster at the alignment shop. The comment I made about cruising at 100 for 5 minutes that was in the Duster in my sig... never skipped a beat and felt glued to the road the whole time.

EDIT: Although I did discover a minor driveline vibration most likely either due to worn transmission mount or incorrect driveshaft/pinion angle

Exactly RRR. When I'm on the road, I'll go 4 mph over the limit and put the cruise control on. I have had people pass me up, then they would have to suddenly slow the hell down because a cop had radar going. Not me, just leave the cruise where it's at. No problems. When I'm on the highway, it ain't about getting there the fastest, not anymore. One stop by the cops, and there goes all your time savings from speeding. Just my opinion.

A while back I asked a machinist about these highway RPM's we're talking about here. This guy builds motors for race cars. I said is long periods of running 3000 RPM high and how long is the motor going to stand up to this? He replied: "Does it have good oil?" Of course I said yes and he replied: "Forever". There you go. Relax.

You don't get it. I don't HAVE a problem because I don't WANT to speed. Get it?

I didn't mean YOU had a problem not wanting to speed, the "problem" i was referring to was it being costly.

I almost forgot i read a book once written by a retired highway patrol officer basically explaining how to speed and not get caught. He is not embarrassed at all to state the speed limit and traffic ticketing system in our country is baloney which is what inspired him to write the book in the first place.

55 here and you are holding up traffic , more of a pain in the *** with people pulling stupid moves to get around you .

I didn't mean YOU had a problem not wanting to speed, the "problem" i was referring to was it being costly.

Without OD, it certainly is more costly. Even with OD, I don't drive much if any over the limit. I'm done with tickets. They are a totally avoidable waste of money.

To the OP. My apologies for getting this side tracked.

I want to change gear sets because the take off is sluggish. I also do a fair amount of highway driving at 70-75 mph. I'm really trying to find a balance. My car has a 318, Edelbrock 650 and small XE256 cam. Trans is 904 and it is not the low 1st. I have 4 different gear sets to play with. Here are the RPM vs gear ratios.

I guess the basic question is the title...What is the rpm sweet spot for highway driving?

Currently running 215/70/14 the spec sheet says the tires are 25.8 calculated at 70 mph.

2.76-2583
2.94-2752
3.23-3023
3.91-3660

Thanks Craig
2,000 at 50!

Without OD, it certainly is more costly. Even with OD, I don't drive much if any over the limit. I'm done with tickets. They are a totally avoidable waste of money.

To the OP. My apologies for getting this side tracked.

Me too i was ranting couldn't help myself...

Back on topic, concerning higher cruising rpms (i'd consider that 3000+) the level of internal friction goes up roughly exponentially with rpm. So at 3000 rpm there's 2-3 times as much power being wasted on friction as at 2000 rpm.

Me too i was ranting couldn't help myself...

Back on topic, concerning higher cruising rpms (i'd consider that 3000+) the level of internal friction goes up roughly exponentially with rpm. So at 3000 rpm there's 2-3 times as much power being wasted on friction as at 2000 rpm.

You need to really re-think this.
He has a low compression 318 with a small cam.
The motor is going to need around 2500+ rpms to keep the torque at cruise speed, no matter if it is 55 or 85 he has to gear accordingly.

As for the OP you already have 3.23 put them in, sounds like you need highway speed.
If you want power stick the 3.91 in.
Why did you make two threads on this?

You need to really re-think this.
He has a low compression 318 with a small cam.
The motor is going to need around 2500+ rpms to keep the torque at cruise speed, no matter if it is 55 or 85 he has to gear accordingly.

I don't agree with the idea that peak torque creates most mpg. Where an engine makes its peak torque is where it is most efficient by making most horsepower per pound of fuel but is gonna use more overall fuel than a engine running at a lot less rpm. In generalization an engine running at 2000 rpm will use twice as much air and fuel as the same engine at 1000 rpm.

To the OP 3.23 would be consider the 1st level in performance gear and is the best compromise .
Your engine will turn 17% higher giving you about 17% less mpgs but 17% more torque to the ground.

Install an OverDrive transmission. If you're running an auto, go with the GM 200R4.

-
Back