What is the thread size on the back of oil pressure gauge??

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
ok guys, I'm trying to install -6 (I believe) braided stainless oil pressure line and I've been searching all day and I can't find what the thread size is on the back of the equus oil pressure gauge. I'm about to pull my hair out then throw my phone against the wall!! Lol

Picture? Model/ brand? geez It is most likely either US pipe NPT IE "1/8 pipe" which is close to 3/8 fine thread or else it will take a 1/8 compression nut and ferrule which used to be "standard." See if there's a champer on the inside edge

This is what you used to almost universally see........a 1/8 compression fitting and 1/8 pipe adapter, except "on the gauge" the right hand side of this adapter would be female to screw onto the gauge

GAR-68CC3X2.jpg

"Whatever this is" the gauge is built for the tube compression fitting to connect directly to the gauge

492855d1501528094-diy-manual-oil-pressure-gauge-install-dscn3051.jpg

As Rusty would say: WTF is my damn crystal ball?

1/8 pipe I believe. Show us a pic of which piece you are referring to. I just installed a set 2 days ago! But I wasn't concerned in the slightest about the size as it was all there.

"Whatever this is" the gauge is built for the tube compression fitting to connect directly to the gauge

View attachment 1715092055

As Rusty would say: WTF is my damn crystal ball?
That right there is exactly what the back of my gauge looks like.
So I guess I need to find a way to go from 1/8" compression to the an fitting

That right there is exactly what the back of my gauge looks like.
So I guess I need to find a way to go from 1/8" compression to the an fitting

Ya know this board is a two way street. When I or someone else suggests you post a photo and or post a brand name/ model of whatever it is that you are trying to work with, WHAT THAT MEANS IS you have a job to do. I could sit here and guess all night long. **** for all I know it might be METRIC. No, German, U.S. and Japanese pipe fittings are NOT the same.

In this day and age, it could be any of those + something proprietary

It's 1/8 NPT, just like over 90% of them.

The part of the gauge as pictured above uses a proprietary threaded nut to seal the compression sleeve. So it is absoultely beyond any reasonable doubt not 1/8" npt. The brass fittings in above photo are the nut,ferrule and the line adapter to engine block. Larger thread is 1/8"npt, commonly used on most early mopar engines.

A short line and adapter to your braided line is one way to connect it.
A gauge with a fitting that can be adapted would be a better way to go.

Honestly,who would want a potential oil leak in the passenger compartment? Go electric.

Ya know this board is a two way street. When I or someone else suggests you post a photo and or post a brand name/ model of whatever it is that you are trying to work with, WHAT THAT MEANS IS you have a job to do. I could sit here and guess all night long. **** for all I know it might be METRIC. No, German, U.S. and Japanese pipe fittings are NOT the same.

In this day and age, it could be any of those + something proprietary
I understand that Del, sorry I dropped the ball on this one. My gauge is literally exactly like the picture you posted above, that's the exactly make (Equus) and more than likely the same model. Equus gauges are the only ones who use those thread on fasteners to hold the gauge in place instead of the normal metal bracket and nuts.

The part of the gauge as pictured above uses a proprietary threaded nut to seal the compression sleeve. So it is absoultely beyond any reasonable doubt not 1/8" npt. The brass fittings in above photo are the nut,ferrule and the line adapter to engine block. Larger thread is 1/8"npt, commonly used on most early mopar engines.

A short line and adapter to your braided line is one way to connect it.
A gauge with a fitting that can be adapted would be a better way to go.

Honestly,who would want a potential oil leak in the passenger compartment? Go electric.

Absolutely correct. "Once you have" the 1/8 ferrule/ compression fitting, there is no fitting manufactured that will adapt to that. The only thing you can screw on there is the correct compression nut, unless you want to solder/ braze, JB weld, whatever.

"Mainline" traditional gauges like SW all had 1/8" pip so far as I know

Absolutely correct. "Once you have" the 1/8 ferrule/ compression fitting, there is no fitting manufactured that will adapt to that. The only thing you can screw on there is the correct compression nut, unless you want to solder/ braze, JB weld, whatever.

"Mainline" traditional gauges like SW all had 1/8" pip so far as I know
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It`s 1/8" compression, not exactly the same as 1/8" pipe threads ! Very common .

Very common,in this exact application and air lines as well,example is the range shifter in highway trucks.
Air shocks also, but different manufacturers use different threads.

From a -6 to 1/8 line then to gauge is the only way, especially if you need a swivel fitting.

Last edited:
Very common,in this exact application and air lines as well,example is the range shifter in highway trucks.
Air shocks also, but different manufacturers use different threads.

From a -6 to 1/8 line then to gauge is the only way, especially if you need a swivel fitting.
^^^^^^^^--------------NOT!
You could go the many yrs. old "copper" oil gauge line kit. Pobably sold at every speed shop in the world.

^^^^^^^^--------------NOT!
You could go the many yrs. old "copper" oil gauge line kit. Pobably sold at every speed shop in the world.
Double not! Copper used a different style called 3rd sleeve. The ferrule is different as well as the nut and threads. Wasnt going to mention it as it adds more possibilities.

Just a follow up on this. I bought the fitting I linked to in post #12 and it worked perfectly. Cluster is back in the car and works great

-
Back