What is this cause I just installed it

-

bschubarg

Reaction score
0CB074F2-1ACA-4D93-A778-7C20CCA26CEB.jpeg
Roller cam for my 318...but will it work?

Good point....
Standard bore 318
Mild ported Magnum heads
1 5/8 headers
RPM Air Gap intake
Holley 670 Avenger
Curb weight #3450
Gears... get this... 2.23

Good point....
Standard bore 318
Mild ported Magnum heads
1 5/8 headers
RPM Air Gap intake
Holley 670 Avenger
Curb weight #3450
Gears... get this... 2.23
stock compression? Stock converter?

Don’t know how net valve lift is .474 while lobe lift is .2925

here's my take on it
Static compression ratio of 8.8:1.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 7.21:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 139.56 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 108

I added 53* to that .050 to gross it up to about 267 advertised, and installed it at 107, for an ICA of 61*...............As you can see the pressure is quite far down, and the VP is less than the stocker (114 IIRC). Bottom line is she's gonna want a lot higher than stock stall, and those 2.23 gears are gonna be a real headache.

I know you didn't ask for it,
but if you are looking for performance,then
my advice is to first install the biggest rear gear you think can handle, and at least a 2400TC.(Personally I like a 2800 behind the teener). And if your engine is still together with the factory cam,then run this combo for at least a week in traffic, ....as is.
But if the cam is already in, you might be in for a surprise. And you'll know pretty much exactly what to do............I vote at least a 9/1 starter gear and a 2800TC ..... cuz I know that will be a blast!

Last edited:
here's my take on it
Static compression ratio of 8.8:1.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 7.21:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 139.56 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 108

I added 53* to that .050 to gross it up to about 267 advertised, and installed it at 107, for an ICA of 61*...............As you can see the pressure is quite far down, and the VP is less than the stocker (114 IIRC). Bottom line is she's gonna want a lot higher than stock stall, and those 2.23 gears are gonna be a real headache.

I know you didn't ask for it,
but if you are looking for performance,then
my advice is to first install the biggest rear gear you think can handle, and at least a 2400TC.(Personally I like a 2800 behind the teener). And if your engine is still together with the factory cam,then run this combo for at least a week in traffic, ....as is.
But if the cam is already in, you might be in for a surprise. And you'll know pretty much exactly what to do............I vote at least a 9/1 starter gear and a 2800TC ..... cuz I know that will be a blast!
Thanks for your research and taking the time to post your results... it is a custom cam I had ground with the same research you performed... what I didn’t mention was I have a 8.75 rear with 3.90 just taking up space...

Thanks for your research and taking the time to post your results... it is a custom cam I had ground with the same research you performed... what I didn’t mention was I have a 8.75 rear with 3.90 just taking up space...
DOH!
3.90x2.45=9.56 bang on,You're on it!
Do you have the "Advertised" specs too? How far am I off on those,lol? If it's custom, maybe they speeded it up some, and that would be very helpful to the low-rpm performance.

Last edited:
Don’t have the “Adveristed” specs... but we are on the same page....you were the only one who replied with an intelligent response...which explains your success with Mopar racing....

Ditch that 2.23 crap gear! 3.90 is way better. May not he all great on highway but around town it'll be quick!!:) maybe an overdrive can help or even a 5 speed if your into rowing your gears!

-
Back