What is this? Green box under dash wiring???

-

mopower76

Reaction score
076B180A-9509-4DB1-9D82-08418925036A.jpeg
83C18304-4C00-45C9-A7A8-AD57822F9949.jpeg
4E22065C-BA69-4B2B-93C6-C7E860BE0CD1.jpeg
Looking for more help to figure out what this green electrical box is under the dash of my 1974 dodge dart sport?
Wanting to see if it is a necessity or if it is something that can be done away with… this is a later model vehicle then I have ever worked on Prior so I am not familiar with what it is exactly or what it does.
As always, thank you in advance!

Obviously the outside of the box is damaged and would like to either replace it with another or do away with it entirely if it is not necessary.
If it is needed and anyone has an extra laying around please let me know!

Looks to be part of the starter interlock system.

Flux Capacitor........................lol.

That was my thought too, although I don't recall seeing that on my 74 DS. It may be there, just never noticed.

seat belt interlock. it also connects to the box with the red button in the engine bay, on the drivers side fender, if it's still there. can be bypassed. do a search,quite a few "how to's" to make a clean job of it

i have one out of my 74 dart undamaged if you just want to replace it. pm me

I can tell you, its trouble, I have a 74 duster and thats a seat belt interlocking module, if they are not corroded ,or damaged, you can just leave the wire going to the front seats and be ok, but yours looks damaged and has white corrosion on it, if you look on the wires going to the gauge cluster pins, you will see double wires going to each pin. if you cut the module out you loose 11 different things, dome light,parking lights,turn signals,cigarette lighter,glove box light, dash lights and there are some other things i can't remember. On Ebay they want any where from $100 to 175 for a module. If you find the dark green one , it was from canadian cars, and a seat belt bypass, no seat belt laws, if you find an orange one,its from Venezulea, its also by passed, no seat belt law there. Also you probably have a reset button on inner fender next to widow washer with 3 wires going to it, that you will have to bypass if you dont use the module. , I worked nearly 3 months trying to rewire around my module, had a friend who had a 75 dart ,parts car, i pulled under dash wiring and underhood wiring, and trashed the 74 wiring ,,, Mopar realized what a mistake these were and quit using them in 1975. I paid $50 dollars for the wiring and got rid of future head aches, by not having a module go bad, i pulled 4 modules out of 74 model mopars in the junk yards ,all were white with corrosion from moisture and years of car just sitting. GOOD LUCK

It is the seat belt/ starter interlock. To permanently disable the starter interlock, find the box in the ENGINE BAY with a big red reset button. Find the two yellowish wires and splice them together. You can remove everything else associated with that mess

Ok... didn’t read far enough!
Wow, so I’ll try bypassing it first but may try using the 73 wiring harness and completely do away with the 74 harness.
My only problem is the 73 harness I have has been butchered on in places. I’ll try and combine the two then look elsewhere for a virgin harness.
Thanks again for all the great info, I want the interlock system gone!!!

So after reading the article Dubob and the great post by Robert Flippo, the box (although damaged) I have should be a Canadian bypassed box being that it’s green and not blue or orange (Venezulea) correct? And it may be ok, still want to get rid of it and will but it could still be good aside from the outside protective plastic box itself.
If anyone wants it to try inside of your original box let me know... it’s yours for the cost of shipping.
I’m also going to donate a (somewhat) decent 1974 Grille to a deserving a member that could use it as a temporary until a great one is found for the price of shipping it to them.

I think you'll find the 73 harness wears a similar (white) box. It didn't have the dreaded 74 only seatbelt interlock but did tie into several circuits, interior lighting, warning chimes, etc...

Ok, I’ve read over the thread you sent to me and have the manuals downloaded (thanks! That website is amazing!!! I will be donating)
If I’m understanding you correctly just jumping the two yellow terminals at the reset button under the hood and leaving the green box and wiring as is it will defeat the interlock and everything will work as it should even if the “green box” is faulty?
If not I’ll redo all of the wiring to do away with it and the reset box entirely. (Would much rather just leave it all alone.)
I’m with the other guy though I have to say, while the dash is out and the underground harnesses are all out would be the time to do away with it all.
I don’t want it to become a “Grimlin” down the road and regret not taking it out completely.
If you say Jump the wires and leave it all alone, that’s what I’ll do.
Again, thanks for your insight into this.

I tried to explain that this box handles a bunch of circuits other than the seatbelt interlock which was 74 only feature. I really don't know what all is involved in deleting it entirely. Good luck

The only thing the actual interlock does is to break the yellow "start" wire on the road to the starter relay. I'm unaware of any other ill effects from any of the rest of the system.

I took a week and cut out every wire in that piece of junk. If you have a wiring diagram for your 74 that would be helpful.
The only wire needed in that mess is the ground wire.

-
Back