What is this specification (dry lash)?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I was going through some specs in a FSM for 73 plymouth and came across this spec for "dry lash." Since this spec is for hydraulic lifter applications, is this simply the preload range of factory lifters, or something else? In other words, what does this "dry lash" spec refer to?

lash spec.jpg

I would guess the same as you; the numbers look right for preload. But I don't know if it is what we think of as prelaod, or the remaining lifter piston movement left after preload.

I would guess the same as you; the numbers look right for preload. But I don't know if it is what we think of as prelaod, or the remaining lifter piston movement left after preload.

Thanks. Those particular number threw me off a bit. I never realized that stock-type hydraulic lifters had .210" of plunger movement. The ones I've measure were only about half that. And often times, I've run preload on OE stock-replacement lifters of less than .060". I guess ya learn something new every day.

Yes, the .120" range is what I tend to think of...but who knows if this was just an older design part that had a lot more piston play, or a worst case number computed up at some point on the design board. I guess I need to see if we have any old original lifters laying about and see....

-
Back