What is this worth? 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

-

65_valiant

Reaction score
Blown motor, but looks to be in good shape. Everything supposedly works, other than the motor of course. Has 165K on the clock. V8 4WD.Guy said the least he could 'probably' take is $1k, worth it?

I would talk him down. A blown motor...

Look up that engine on www.car-parts.com and see what replacements are going for so you know how much it will take to get running.

I offered 650 before he said he wouldnt take less than the 1000. Now after seeing a motor is gna be around 1500-2000 with 100k plus miles, even that might have been too high. Ive asked exactly what's wrong, maybe able to rebuild which would be best imo. We'll see, won't break my heart to not buy it.

I got one 1800 running and driving just so you know what it worth. Can you replace the motor for 800 bucks?

I just purchased a 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport 4wd with 153000 miles on it for 800 bucks and its in great shape.

A friend of mine sold a really nice 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited before the gas prices started falling and all he could get for it was a $1000 after he had it for sale for several months. When gas prices go up the price of those type of vehicles plummet here.

I'm assuming its a 318. If you can switch it yourself, most 318-360 magnums good running can be bought between 350-500. What usually happens to them is the gasket under the intake tears/breaks, and the vacuum sucks the oil out and they use about a quart of oil every 600-1000 miles. If it had the oil run out a bunch of times from neglect of checking it, then the motor may be to expensive to rebuilt. This is just speculation on what could have happen to the motor. I've seen a ton of these motors between 250,000-300,000 miles still running strong. If it is blown because of sheer abuse, then perhaps the tranny has been abused too, meaning that is soon to be replaced. Hmmmm, not good....

I passed on it, he wouldn't come off 1000. No heart break there.

he said he'd just replace the motor and either keep it or try again to sell. He just got it himself, for much less than 1000 I'm sure.

A grand is more than I would pay for that vehicle.

"Has 165K on the clock".

It has 165K on everything, not just the odometer. Depending on how it was maintained, there's a lot of crap that can go wrong on a 165K vehicle, and even more on a 4WD vehicle (especially one with a blown engine at only 165K).

I'd offer $500.00, possibly $600.00. If he's not willing to deal, I'd walk away without looking back.

-
Back