What is this?

-

Rush4x4

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this is? It's on a 74 Duster I just picked up that hasn't been on the road since 1982 and the original owner passed away eight years ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 455
Yup and you need to bypass it before it gives trouble. First couple of years of the dreaded "seatbelt buzzer" system, it was interlocked so you had to have them fastened to run the car. That thing has a reset button in case of trouble. Look on the plug. There will be a yellow and yellow / tracer wires and this thing "breaks" that path on the way to the starter relay.

Figure a way to permanently connect the two yellows together

Here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1969624169

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=14304

^^^^^^
Get rid of that puppy! And while you're at it remove the control box and all the excess wiring related to it under the seats and the dash. It's a rat's nest which opens up room under the dash when working on other items. We pulled it out of our 74 B-body and I couldn't believe how much crap was associated with that system. Like 67 says, if the system malfunctioned you had to pop the hood and push the reset button to start the car. On our 74 it was all still in place but had been bypassed by somebody. After I removed it, I cracked open the control box to see what was in it. There were a couple blackened resisters.

Do you have a factory wiring diagram for the Duster? If not, get a factory service manual with the diagrams included. You can find them on a CD and then print out the wiring diagrams. When you bypass and/or remove wiring, make notes on the diagrams such as highlighting removed wiring with a certain color highlighter. Make detailed notes on the diagram where you bypass. Keep it in a folder for future reference when working on the car.

LOL! I was wondering what that was! I'm sitting there looking at the 74 wiring diagrams. (which kindly did not show on the schematic) So after scratching my head over it for awhile, I decided to ignore it while I wire everything up.

Now I know I need to get rid of it.

73 Just has the buzzer. It doesnt kill the ignition if your not wearing the belt.

That box was a 1973ish-74 installed device only. Did lots of research on it when chasing a no-start electrical issue on our 1974 Plymouth Satellite Custom 9P wagon.....If its not giving you trouble now...it will sooner or later..Best bet is to do as the others suggest and remove all wiring attached to it and bypass it.

Depends on what your plans are for the car. If I were building a stock looking 74, I'd keep the box just for the correct look. I'd bypass it internally though.

This video explains it all.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xXtmlSHtIQ"]Chrysler Master Tech - 1974, Volume 74-1 Seat Belt Starter Interlock - YouTube[/ame]

^^Yeh....heh.....like we said just bypass the GBMOS^^

(Great Big Mess Of Stuff)

foolish question I suppose....why in the hell did they tie it into the ignition?? wasn't the annoying noise/light enough?

We can thank our ever watchful federal government for that. All the '74 cars had to have it by federal safety standard #208.
I wonder what happened to get it repealed? Not many stupid federal rulemakings do.

BC

-
Back