What is this!!!!??

-

zapimpulse

76 Duster
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
As I was getting gas the other day, I noticed there was an antifreeze leak and noticed this wacky thing on one of the coolant lines where coolant was dripping out. Even more, it's capped literally with a soda cap. I just bought the car a few months ago and never even noticed this under the hood. Check it out and fill me in as to why the previous owner might have installed this.

Also, what type of rear end is this? Thanks!!!

IMG00016-20091221-1554.jpg

IMG00017-20091221-1555.jpg

IMG00018-20091221-1555.jpg

IMG00019-20091221-1557.jpg

IMG00020-20091221-1558.jpg

Thanks guys, good eyes...
Should I just bypass it and run a new line or find a legitimate cap for it??

Me personally, I like them and run them on most of my cars. If you get a new cap (probably have to get a whole new kit for 7 bucks to get one) it should stop leaking.

they make it really nice to do a flush on and last quite awhile. just seems like i always get them at the end of their life lol

The kit that comes with should also have another part that fits snugly in your radiator filler opening. It's a tube that directs the flush water up and over the front body when you're reverse flushing your cooling system. Keeps your radiator from looking like a decorative fountain spouting cooling and water all over your engine and body paint.
Another thing I like to do to make sure as much coolant is drained as possible is to replace the square-headed threaded fittings on each side of the block with petcocks.

0907cct_03_z+prestone+flush_n_fill_kit.jpg

That's what's known as an aftermarket flusher jobber jobber jing jang. It's a stupid idea and usually ends up leaking. I'd get rid of it.

-
Back