What kind of alternator is this? Looks Mopar

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
Possibly industrial?

Supposed to be 30 amps. Pretty anemic output.
Wondering what it would take to mod it to like 70 amps.

Looks cool and nice condition. Maybe pre 70s?

Attachments

• 30ampalternator.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 322
  • 30ampalternator2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 315
Funny looks totally mopar to me. Could be wrong but looks like all the alt. I've had

Here's a image from Rockauto's catalog. This fits a 69 Dart with a 318.

Attachments

• getimage.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 284
looks just like the one on my dart. If it's 30 amp I have a hard time seing it being useful.

Looks like the early "round-back" in all cars, though not sure what the front bracket is (maybe for shipping). One field terminal is grounded, so needs the early (single field) Vreg (until ~1971?), which is probably the red warning label. I have kept one in my 65 Newport w/ TBI, AC, and electric fuel pump and my battery stays charged. If more load (electric fan), you may need the later "square-back" which puts out ~60 A, but insure you wire to match your Vreg (many posts). For those who really want current, there is a ~110 A Mopar alternator for early cars (see Autozone). I bought one, but found it is too big a beast to put in my cars.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN a stock (early) Mopar with a bolt on pulley. This thing must have been some special application, industrial, etc.

That is a early model single field Mopar alternator that used the early mechanical voltage regulator. many years ago before cars were full of electronics and computors they made 37, 50 amp alt. Police cars came with 100 amp alt. but they were usually Leece Neville alt.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN a stock (early) Mopar with a bolt on pulley. This thing must have been some special application, industrial, etc.
i think you are right on .i think these were used on industrial and used on tractors for the generator to alt conversion but not 100%

Surplus Center has military and industrial surplus. Most military stuff is special. Too bad mopar did did not use the shaft nut in regular production.

It does look just like a old style round back alternator cept for the bolt on pulley. Chrysler industrial engines were used in a lot of applications. I once worked on a 59 Hyster SC180 (18,000 lb forklift) that had a Poly 318 and it had that very same alternator on it.

-
Back