What kind of brakes do we have? Confused...

-

Witchboard

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the forum. My son purchased himself a 1964 Barracuda. It runs, but had to tow it home as the brakes don't work. I popped the top off the master cylinder and was greeted with chocolate milk. Delicious!

We were looking at cleaning up the system, so I thought I would rebuild the master cylinder and replace all the wheel cylinders, etc. I presumed it was all 9" drum brakes and ordered a bunch of parts so they would be here by the weekend, but lo and behold, once I got it up on jack stands and took the wheels off, the rear are 10" drums and the fronts are disc brakes. Basically nothing I bought will work, so they'll be getting returned. Nothing like losing some money in return shipping to teach me a lesson.

I based my purchases off the 1964 Valiant service technical manual, so now I'm not sure if the car's brakes were modified, if these were optional on this model or if I have the wrong manual. It's a late 64 since it has the barracuda rather than the valiant tag on the back.

Can anybody glean anything off the pics that could point me in the right direction?

IMG_20210518_235346400.jpg

IMG_20210517_180323567.jpg

IMG_20210518_184603645.jpg

IMG_20210518_202323239.jpg

IMG_20210518_184549311.jpg

IMG_20210519_001416761[1].jpg

Numbers on calipers appear to be from one of the following: 1976 Valiant-Dart-Duster-Volare- Aspen or 1977-1978 Volare- Aspen.

Nice, that was the "standard" conversion back when 73-76 parts cars were plentiful and cheap.

Front is a 73-up abody disc set up.

Rear is also big bolt pattern. Any idea what rear is in it? 7 1/4, 8 1/4 or 8 3/4???

Consider yourself lucky. That is a nice set up. A lot of drum car people would like that. They work great and you have more rim choices with the 4.5 BP.

yes your brakes have been upgraded, and dont feel bad we are all in a hurry these days,I too have ordered parts ahead of the first step, which is taking things apart, inspecting and making a parts list :)

Your original lug studs were 7/16 and left hand threads on left side of vehicle. You now have 1/2 lug studs, right hand thread all around. So even the OEM tire tool had to be changed for the larger lug nuts. Looks like the spindles were swapped left to right which moves the caliper from forward to rear of the rotor. This is common practice also. Relocating the caliper provides clearance for the pre 73 model design stabilizer bar. Fluid hoses for A-body will be too short. Order the longer F-body hoses.
That large diameter vacuum booster and master cylinder likely came from the same later model donor vehicle too. Happy moparing

giveaway of drum.disk combo is different size M/C wells. Yours has been updated. Get yourself a .99 store turkey baster and a huge bottle of DOT-3. Remove as much of the milk as you can with the baster and top it off with the new stuff, crack rear passenger and pump the brakes about 30 times. Repeat on all 4 continuing to top off the M/C with new fluid. Should get all the old crap out. could crack all 4 and let gravity do it but it makes a mess.

Wow. Thanks for the overwhelming response. I really appreciate it.

So to summarize, fronts are A-body 1973+, with swapped calipers requiring F-body hoses. Rears are 10" drums. Both front and rear have 4.5" bolt pattern.

I guess that would also explain why the wheels were not stock for the 64 Barracuda. Once I got the covers off I found there were 3 different sizes of lug nuts keeping the wheels on across them all. I think we'll at least try flushing everything like @pishta suggests and go from there.

@abodyjoe I would be happy to look. Sorry for my ignorance, but can you be more specific? Are you meaning the differential? Here's a pic of the diff markings. It's obviously been opened by the amount of RTV on the cover.

IMG_20210519_115925290.jpg

I know this is the brakes forum, but I found this stamped on the automatic transmission. Is that a date code of 1979? Could all these come from the same donor car?

IMG_20210519_120127858-180.jpg

Last edited:
The transmission code should be stamped into the driver's side pan rail just above the gasket. Post all the numbers and we can give you info on it's original application.

It's partially covered by a bracket. From what I can read it looks like 6997 1390. Is there more to the number? If so I'll have to see if I can finagle something in there to read the rest of it.

Yes, there should be a 7 digit number in there somewhere.

I pulled of the bracket and best I can tell the number is 1J58383 6997 1390? The bolt pattern on the pan is a 904/A500, so I measured the length and it's 31". So looks like it's a 904 transmission. I can start a new thread in the transmission forum it it'd be easier. I may have to take the bracket off again and clean it better, the first 3 were difficult to read.

Yup, you'll need to clean it better and get the full 7 digit number. Sometimes taking a photo helps.

I took video with my phone since I can't get anything else up in there, but the transmission started leaking on me since I had to take a couple bolts out to remove the bracket, so I gave up. I'll try again this weekend and start a new thread in the transmission forum. Thanks!

6997 date code is September 23,1980 which would correlate to 1981 model year. In 1981 there was a 904 transmission #4058383. Last 5 numbers match the number you posted.

-
Back