what kind of cable winch should I use?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
I want to lift the body off the frame of my '22 Dodge Bros. tourer in order to do a proper restoration. I plan to jack the body up off the frame, put two 2x4s under it, and attach 4 cables to the ends of the 2x4s, running the cables over pulleys attached to lift points in my ceiling.

Should I use hand crank gear winches like this on the cables, and attach them to the shop walls?

Haul Master 1/2 Ton Capacity Hand Crank Gear Winch, Portable hand winch for sale online

Seems like it might be overkill; what do you think? Is there another, more suitable cable winch that I am not aware of?

Thanks, guys. And I'm sure John and Horace would thank you, too, if they could.

could you put jack stands (or cinder blocks) under the boards and push the frame out from under?

could you put jack stands (or cinder blocks) under the boards and push the frame out from under?
YY1, I should have mentioned that I am really emotionally invested in the idea of using the overhead lifting points because I went to a lot of trouble to install them when I built the shop!

So I want to lift the body using the lifting points in the ceiling and cables, and after that, yes, wheel the chassis and running gear aside and work on it separately.

That's not me in the picture; it's a friend who likes to hunt on my property.

Brian standing with DB.jpg

4 comealongs.
Should give plenty of lift and lbs. support.
I've got 4 stout lift points built in the ceiling too.
Gotta use em!

I am “emotionally invested” in owning a Hemi road runner..... but I’m taking a different route thanks to property taxes, ex wife, kids and I like steak.

If you are hanging the cab above the truck because of space - I would use 1/4” cable as that cab is not that heavy. Maybe 300 lbs.

Personally if I’m in your boat- 2 @4x4 supports past the cab and 4 good strong good natured friends lifting. Lol! Good
Luck and keep us posted on your final conclusion. Syleng1

4 comealongs.
Should give plenty of lift and lbs. support.
I've got 4 stout lift points built in the ceiling too.
Gotta use em!
Yikes, the bad news is that4 come-alongs would be expensive...the good news is I've already got two of them...but the bad news is that even buying two would be expensive. But maybe you're right, Jimacuda. Come-alongs might be the way to go.

Yikes, the bad news is that4 come-alongs would be expensive...the good news is I've already got two of them...but the bad news is that even buying two would be expensive. But maybe you're right, Jimacuda. Come-alongs might be the way to go.
When I removed my 33 Plymouth coupe body from the frame I did what you are planning with the 2x4's but I made a frame, ish structure that I could bolt / screw to the body that kept it from being able to move on the wood. The come-along or the gear wenches seem good but watch the little catch latches. Sometimes they are finicky. Good looking Touring. Good luck

I like it simple Bill! :thumbsup:
Shouldn't be more $ than the winches...plus they'd be more useful imo.
I did my most recent "lift" with heavy duty ratchet straps.
Up went great.
Down was careful and slow.

100_3623.jpeg

Last edited:
Syleng1 wrote: I am “emotionally invested” in owning a Hemi road runner.

That reminds me of when I was a young man and really wanted to buy a Road Runner (even an RB engine would have been fine with me), but I could never afford one for the same reasons that you can't.

I thought, "Gee, I think I'll build my own Mopar muscle car and do it cheaply, on a pay-as-you-go basis!"

I bought an early-series Valiant (Toad) and did a resto-mod with a hot LA engine, 727, 8-3/4" posi and big-car suspension.

I found out that: (1) it's not so easy to build your own one-off car; (2) why auto suspension engineers get paid so much money; and (3) that you can't mix-n-match suspension components from different cars. (Can you say "squirrelly"?) It took me a long time to figure out how to make it handle correctly. Until then, it was quite a handful.

Two straps mounted on the lift points ran under the body through eyes on the underside of the 4x4's and use the two come along you have to lift the ends to the other two points? Love the car by the way!

-
Back