What kind of Gen III engine would you build around this Cam?

-

jrlegacy23

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
I have a stock 06 5.7 Hemi in my 1970 Dart right now. I have been wanting to build a nice Gen III to replace stock and got a really good deal on this Comp Cams camshaft. It is a "6.1" Hemi cam, NON-VVT, and was told that it is speced for a supercharged application. What kind of engine would you guys build around this cam? Would you go 5.7 or 6.1? Would stock forged piston clear with this cam? Any thoughts?
.......................Int -- Exh
Adv Dur............277 287
Dur @ .050"......227 238
Valve lift......... .578 .570
Lobe separation 115*

39522041_1004645449732782_1555491301816795136_n.png

Normally, you don't build an engine based on a cam. You design the cam around the engine and how the engine is designed and will be used. For example, if this cam is designed for a blower engine and you don't intend to run a blower, it's not going to work well NA'd. A good deal on the cam may cost you a lot of dollars to make it work right in the engine. JMO on the matter...

More of my concern is, do I need to have the pistons cut for a valve relief? Or will they clear a stock dimension piston. I plan to supercharge with around 9-9.5:1 compression, which that is what the cam is designed for. Is this a cam good for a 5.7, or should I seek a 6.1 for the extra cubic inches?

Last edited:
i dont know the lobe numbers on that cam there. however i also dont know what heads and pistons you have in your engine. the pre 09 5.7 heads wont allow more than 550 lift without crashing into the valve guide i believe. the stock pre09 5.7 also wont clear big lift cams like that either.

those 2 things mentioned otherwise that cam is about perfect or a touch on the rowdy side. be 7k rpms or so.

id go to a 6.1 head, thicker head gaskets to drop the compression back down best you can. you maybe ok with the pistons but the power the pistons suck anyways and will give up the ghost in short power added to them.
try some drop in rods n pistons and get eagle heads to match and you got a badass combo with a blower. 6-700hp easily

That is the exact type of info I was looking for. Thank you. I have been doing a lot of research on forums but the detailed info is few and far between.

i dont know the lobe numbers on that cam there. however i also dont know what heads and pistons you have in your engine. the pre 09 5.7 heads wont allow more than 550 lift without crashing into the valve guide i believe. the stock pre09 5.7 also wont clear big lift cams like that either.

those 2 things mentioned otherwise that cam is about perfect or a touch on the rowdy side. be 7k rpms or so.

id go to a 6.1 head, thicker head gaskets to drop the compression back down best you can. you maybe ok with the pistons but the power the pistons suck anyways and will give up the ghost in short power added to them.
try some drop in rods n pistons and get eagle heads to match and you got a badass combo with a blower. 6-700hp easily

g3 hemi swaps on facecrook has some really wise builders that can help ya out. best guy right now is erik storm owner of bfny who did my custom turbo cams both times. has a few record cars out there now.

-
Back