What kind of horsepower to expect 383 build

-

340dartley

Reaction score
I am almost done with a motor I built that for various reasons took way too long. Been about 8 years since started this project. I am close to installing it so I just figured I would do a little bench racing and see what I can expect. The motor In question is .060 over 383 built on a budget. It NOS Direct Connection forged pistons 11.5 to 1 compression ratio. The block has been decked and the flats of the pistons are at 0 deck height. Rods have been resized and crank turned .020 under. I installed a mopar purple cam I had in the garage. It is the .509 lift 292 on 112 centerline. Cam installed straight up. Heads are stock 906 heads with mopar valve springs. Stock rockers and pushrods. Rotating assembly is balanced. Running standard size headers. Still looking for an affordable carb but would like an 850 dp. I have a 750dp I can use off another car. Also running a Holley street dominator manifold. Anyway. What do you think?

This going into your Dart Drag car??
Anyways, I don't know what your hp will be, but it should be a strong motor.

This going into your Dart Drag car??
Anyways, I don't know what your hp will be, but it should be a strong motor.
It may find its way into the dart but it is actually supposed to go in my old 68 satellite

No mention of what heads or what's been done to them.

Yes the heads are stock. I am aware the heads are the bottle neck in the engine. Hopefully better flowing heads someday. I might pick up another set of head cores and work on learning to port them. Also looking at the stealth heads. Unfortunately money is not available for them at this time. If money were no object then heads would be next on the list.

If compression was a true 9:5 to 1, it would be a perfect motor for the satellite....

If compression was a true 9:5 to 1, it would be a perfect motor for the satellite....
I agree. I bought the pistons still in the original box off of Craigslist some time ago. I paid 200 dollars for the 383 short block core and came with the pistons still in the direct connection box. Thought it was a good deal. This all at the same time my original 383 decided it wanted to spin a bearing and lock up.

Did you put a degree wheel on it?
Yes. I did. The other concern I had with advancing the cam was the already high compression ratio. Advancing the cam would increase cylinder pressures at low rpm potentially eliminating any hope I have of running this on a pump gas mix

I agree. I bought the pistons still in the original box off of Craigslist some time ago. I paid 200 dollars for the 383 short block core and came with the pistons still in the direct connection box. Thought it was a good deal. This all at the same time my original 383 decided it wanted to spin a bearing and lock up.
It's a nice solid budget build , enjoy it.

Yes. I did. The other concern I had with advancing the cam was the already high compression ratio. Advancing the cam would increase cylinder pressures at low rpm potentially eliminating any hope I have of running this on a pump gas mix
Don't worry, if it really is 11.5:1 compression, even with that cam, it still isn't going to run on pump gas.

Don't worry, if it really is 11.5:1 compression, even with that cam, it still isn't going to run on pump gas.
I was looking at pump gas mix. Plan was 91 octane fuel mixed 50/50 with 100 lol av gas.

Yes the heads are stock. I am aware the heads are the bottle neck in the engine. Hopefully better flowing heads someday. I might pick up another set of head cores and work on learning to port them. Also looking at the stealth heads. Unfortunately money is not available for them at this time. If money were no object then heads would be next on the list.

What is your location OP? I may have something of interest for you in your build....

JW

-
Back