What kind of valve body and TC is this?

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I pulled the pan off the replacement 727 my buddy gave me. This was the original 76 trans with the 440. He said it was rebuilt and it looks clean with very little stuff in the pan. He said it had some sorts of MVB but there wasn’t any paperwork from the original owner. Anyone recognize this? The TQ has an unreadable tag on it. Any help with what I have? Only numbers I can find on VB is 35454 E. Thanks Craig

E0BD71FE-D45B-4667-9988-306BAC871140.jpeg

CC81EAB4-A9D2-44DF-9991-14B3F292DF83.jpeg

F7E6ECAA-7A32-44F7-937B-3A15C4045532.jpeg

0D3EE8B9-6134-40C7-93FD-A1BC8E83408E.jpeg

CC36032D-6CBB-4910-98D1-8A0AA3804AA2.jpeg

See pictures. If this is really a MVB then why are there levers on the kickdown and the valve in the body?

TCI has red separator plates as well. Older models anyway.

I pulled the pan off the replacement 727 my buddy gave me. This was the original 76 trans with the 440. He said it was rebuilt and it looks clean with very little stuff in the pan. He said it had some sorts of MVB but there wasn’t any paperwork from the original owner. Anyone recognize this? The TQ has an unreadable tag on it. Any help with what I have? Only numbers I can find on VB is 35454 E. Thanks Craig

View attachment 1715363429

View attachment 1715363430

View attachment 1715363431

View attachment 1715363432

View attachment 1715363433
Converter looks like it's just good for a core. All joking aside, it appears to be just a stock converter. The tri-angular decal is a factory decal that would say lo stall if the printing was readable. The converter has looks like it has been apart at one time (crappy welding of the upper and lower bodies) and it's been painted. Factory converters are not painted. The hub also appears in my eye to be worn quite badly. I wouldn't re-use it, except as a core, or a door stop. Stall speed, depending on what it was behind, would be 1800-2100. Nutin' special about it, unless it's had the inside modified.
JMHO

The hub is discolored but, not rough and I have another converter. I guess I’ll figure out what the VB is. Trans going in tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.

The hub is discolored but, not rough and I have another converter. I guess I’ll figure out what the VB is. Trans going in tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.

The red separator plate is always a dead giveaway that it's not a stock valve body.
Unfortunately, unless it has non factory numbers stamped in it you never know exactly what it is.
It's also possible that the TP hardware was left but isn't functional.
I would guess it's not a full manual, but again you just never know until you run it and find out.
(which I wouldn't do without a disassembly and cleaning)
That stuff is dirty.

I agree with Transman that the converter (looks) stock, but as he mentioned it could have been modified.
Problem here is that with a dark hub you never know what that thing will dump into your trans.
It could instantly fill your trans with burned clutch and worn bushing material.
Not worth the risk.

The red separator plate is always a dead giveaway that it's not a stock valve body.
Unfortunately, unless it has non factory numbers stamped in it you never know exactly what it is.
It's also possible that the TP hardware was left but isn't functional.
I would guess it's not a full manual, but again you just never know until you run it and find out.
(which I wouldn't do without a disassembly and cleaning)
That stuff is dirty.

I agree with Transman that the converter (looks) stock, but as he mentioned it could have been modified.
Problem here is that with a dark hub you never know what that thing will dump into your trans.
It could instantly fill your trans with burned clutch and worn bushing material.
Not worth the risk.

Yes, I’m taking it apart today since I had the issue with the other 727. I’ll look for numbers. I have a good TC in my hoarder bin. Thanks

Well it is a TCI 121700. Reverse MVB. I’m at a standstill until I figure out what to do. Thanks for the suggestions. Craig

-
Back