What late model accessories do you wish your old car had?

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
While driving almost 4 hours to Mopars in the Park last weekend I was thinking about some modern accessories that would be nice in my old ride. I have Power steering and a/c but cruise would be nice. After I got to the show I was in my trunk 5 dozen times getting out cleaning supplies, camera, luggage and of course beer. Damn if I had a remote control trunk release that would be the ****. Bingo! I have a electric latch and a $8 key fob/receiver/relay from
E bay and a string of wire to the trunk and I'll be set.

Oh, power locks would be handy as well. Disc brakes are also on the list. I think a Crackedback headlight relay set up would be a plus as well.

What do you wish your old car had?

I just need cruise control and fuel injection, then I'd be good. Until I think of something else I need then I'll need that too.

Cley

A/C and i would be good to go, manual steering and brakes and all, just cant stand the southern heat! Oh, and also an overdrive gear so it would be more of a relaxed drive.

As my dad used to say... " The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble"

No PS, no PB, no EFI, no electronic ignition, no electric fans, for me.
Edit .. I forgot no AC

KISS principal for me!

Oh I did think of two things... Ear plugs and a blanket... Convertibles can get a bit loud and cold at 75 mph:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I tend to use cruise control in traffic when I should not, so I am satisfied with my three Mopars as equipped from the factory (one has A/C, two have P/B and P/S).

The very first thing I did was swap the heat-only firewall to an AC firewall before anything else was done - gotta have AC in my old age!. I’m in the process of modifying both my window winders to accept power window motors- thanks @66Dvert . Will also add power door locks - thanks @TrailBeast . Inside I will be adding Dakota Digital modules to allow the interior courtesy lights to just fade away, turn the headlights off up to 30 seconds after turning the ignition off and turn off any chosen accessories with the ignition off when either door is opened. A Dakota Digital cruise setup will be perfect for the long drives to the Nationals or Carlisle. Safety-wise, I’m adding amber turn signals in the back where the backup lights used to be and will add an unobtrusive third brake light up above the rear power window. The interior is getting 66 Barracuda front buckets and rear fold down seat. No big deal except the driver’s Bucket will have a power lumbar conversion for my aching back and both seats are getting a heated seat conversion for those cold frosty morning when we go get something to eat (yes, when done I want it to be my daily driver!). Finally, 4 wheel disc brakes - front 73-76 A Body the rear 94-04 Mustang- based discs with caliper adapters and related hardware supplied by @dodgedifferent2 - thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
The very first thing I did was swap the heat-only firewall to an AC firewall before anything else was done - gotta have AC in my old age!. I’m in the process of modifying both my window winders to accept power window motors- thanks @66Dvert . Will also add power door locks - thanks @TrailBeast . Inside I will be adding Dakota Digital modules to allow the interior courtesy lights to just fade away, turn the headlights off up to 30 seconds after turning the ignition off and turn off any chosen accessories with the ignition off when either door is opened. Safety-wise, I’m adding amber turn signals in the back where the backup lights used to be and will add an unobtrusive third brake light up above the rear power window. The interior is getting 66 Barracuda front buckets and rear fold down seat. No big deal except the driver’s Bucket will have a power lumbar conversion for my aching back and both seats are getting a heated seat conversion for those cold frosty morning when we go get something to eat (yes, when done I want it to be my daily driver!). Finally, 4 wheel disc brakes - front 73-76 A Body the rear 94-04 Mustang- based discs with caliper adapters and related hardware supplied by @dodgedifferent2 - thanks for all your help!
That's a great list for safety and comfort. Love the lumbar support idea. I hear ya there!

If you find an 80’s mopar in the junkyard you can salvage the cable drive cruise control. I paid $15 for the whole thing. Put it on my 69 barracuda. Wasn’t too bad. The worst part was the the the stupid brake switch because the access is so bad. If anyone wants to do it I can provide some help.

Also bought an electric trunk popper from pick & pull. The Bought two $5 ones before I found on that worked.

I don't need anything that a new car has. My old car responds to my commands, there is no computer second-guessing me.

None except the ignition. And the ridiculous amp draw the opera lights in the Fastback fish had. The old charm is what makes it fun!

Last edited:
Cup holder.

I daily drive my 68 dart 35 miles one way to work everyday. A cup holder is the only thing that I find I always need.

I love the 68 dash because of the handy dandy little tray lower dash pad. Perfect to keep small items handy. So I would say I would say all cars would be cooler with 68 lower dash pads

If you find an 80’s mopar in the junkyard you can salvage the cable drive cruise control. I paid $15 for the whole thing. Put it on my 69 barracuda. Wasn’t too bad. The worst part was the the the stupid brake switch because the access is so bad. If anyone wants to do it I can provide some help.

Also bought an electric trunk popper from pick & pull. The Bought two $5 ones before I found on that worked.
I have an answer: Fused 12 volt wire in, wire out to the power trunk release. Touch the button on the key fob to open the trunk. The key will still work manually.I have one ordered. I will see how it works.
remote.jpg

Yup all the new cars with there fancy computers, when Armageddon hits ,we can still drive our old **** boxes and big brother will shut off the new ones ,like the new Chevy with on star , oh chit sorry the trunk popper sounds good ..lol

Yup all the new cars with there fancy computers, when Armageddon hits ,we can still drive our old **** boxes and big brother will shut off the new ones ,like the new Chevy with on star , oh chit sorry the trunk popper sounds good ..lol

That’s why I keep a good old fashioned points unit in the glove box.

My 318 Satellite instantly fired up when warm with the points set. Now with the Pertronix, it takes a second or two.

Delayed wipers in my newer vehicles have me spoiled! I put an electric trunk release in my 70 340 Challenger back in the day, when it was my daily. I got it out of a big ol honkin Chrysler in a junk yard. I won't be putting it back in the Challenger when its turn to be restored rolls around, so it will probably make its way into my 65 Barracuda.

I'm having a hell of a time opening the trunk in my '65 Valiant Signet convertible. Have to mess with the key a hundred times, then all of a sudden it turns like butter. Tried spray lubes and graphite to no avail.

Cooled or vented seats in my classics...my Challenger has them and it’s my favorite option, your back and a$$ stay way cooler on a hot day lol :D

While driving almost 4 hours to Mopars in the Park last weekend I was thinking about some modern accessories that would be nice in my old ride. I have Power steering and a/c but cruise would be nice. After I got to the show I was in my trunk 5 dozen times getting out cleaning supplies, camera, luggage and of course beer. Damn if I had a remote control trunk release that would be the ****. Bingo! I have a electric latch and a $8 key fob/receiver/relay from
E bay and a string of wire to the trunk and I'll be set.

Oh, power locks would be handy as well. Disc brakes are also on the list. I think a Crackedback headlight relay set up would be a plus as well.

A 426 Hemi and A-833.

edit:
and manual steering and brakes.

-
Back