what make/type of PS Pump do i have

-

grouchyandugly

Reaction score
1966 Valiant Slant 6.
what make or type PS Pump do i have because there are 3 different "repair kits" available: Chrysler
Saginaw
Gates
My 67 service manual shows it to be a 1.2 pump; but no name, and that does not show on any repair kit. mine does have that hex nut on the pulley. (big nut....LIKE ME!!!)
stay safe
thanks
G&U

103_0420.JPG

103_0419.JPG

I need to do mine too. Post where you purchased and how it goes. I'm waiting til spring. Thanks !

I need to do mine too. Post where you purchased and how it goes. I'm waiting til spring. Thanks !

update. i bought a kit from NAPA, altho they are avail at rockauto and amazon. mine is a TRW pump (the other type is saginaw). getting mine OUT was a DIRTYWORD. then i took a break, and then the dumb thingie pump came out UP and TOWARDS the windshield. mine would not go down and out. After i got it out i then replaced the O-Ring around the Reservoir plus 2 other O-Rings, put it back together. painted it. re-installed it. BUT the dumb dirtyword front seal was leaking. so, out back and up again. Took it over to a buddy who had the correct tool to remove the pulley (that is NECESSARY). Replaced the front seal. got home and re-installed it again (easier the 2nd time!!). that took me some 25mins. ran the car and NO LEAKS. great. FYI, there is a VIDEO on youtube with my exact pump which helped me see what was done, etc. go to youtube and type in "plymouth power steering pump repair" and hopefully you can get it too, there was also another video on the Saginaw pump. be aware that in the Reservoir there is a SCREEN STRAINER (?) about a inch or so long that will POP out and keep popping out... i used a dab of GREASE to hold it in place which worked. EASY...EASY...EASY... the only hard parts are getting it out of the engine bay AND getting the pulley off. hope this helps. stay safe. thanks

kendog170. more info. those "kits" have o-rings and a front seal. IF you take this dumb thingie totally apart you will need the info such as is in my 1967 Plymouth Service Manual (or your year of car). i replaced 3 o-rings, and the front seal. the service manual has photos showing how to take the pulley off which is a "friction fit". stay safe. thanks

-
Back