What makes a Hurst...

-

RabidScott

Reaction score
What makes a Hurst Competition Plus shifter better than a normal Hurst shifter?

I'm combining two shifters into one and I need to know what parts are different between the two.

What are the actual internal parts that are different? It's got to be more than just the external adjusters, but no has been able to answer my question yet.

I would say "combining" that it "depends."

My old original Hurst in my '70 sixpack car had a push in/ clip in handle

The aftermarket shiter used a different handle AND bolted / clamped in

The aftermarket shift arms were sloppy on the transmission shifter shafts BUT---

The stockers--which fit tight on the shafts, would not accept the aftermarket shift rods AND used no bushings in the holes.

(I used to cut tiny little pieces of feeler stock to tighten up the shift arms on the aftermarket.)

The conclusion, in this case is that "nothing" interchanges

I finally welded the pistol grip into the original shifter, and used the aftermarket in my 64 426 later on.

My factory original Hurst shifter in my '64 Barracuda says Competition Plus on the side. Had a bolt on handle. Didn't have the adjustable stops that aftermarket Hurst shifters had. Also didn't have the dust shield on the bottom that I've seen on some other Hurst shifters

It's my understanding that when Mopar stopped using Inland shifters & went back to Hurst they only used Hurst mechanisms, & handles & supplied their own linkage.

I have the shifters mostly disassembled on my work bench right now and it looks like everything is interchangable.

I want to put the push-in handle mechanism from the regular Mopar Hurst box into the Comp Plus box for better shifting, but I need to know what is actually different in the Comp Plus.

Is it the springs? Shims? What?

-
Back