what oil are you guys running??

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
ok so i broke the cam in with comp cams break in oil.. then changed it and have fresh com cams break in oil in it for now.. i'd like to change it right before i leave for OCMD in early october.. not sure what to run..

Joe Gibbs HR 10W30 synthetic oil.

I attended a seminar put on by the chief oil formulation engineer for Joe Gibbs and these guys know what is needed to keep a flat tappet cam alive in extreme conditions.

^x2! I didn't go to a seminar - but JG products are what the guy who did the 360 for me uses.. so far it absolutely works. I used the break in and am running the 10W30 mentioned above.

Had a retired Mopar guy a couple weeks ago tell me to run Rotella 15-40 or Defy , Delfy (sp) can't remember brand of that. At the least a good DIESEL rated oil in My stock 340. I believe this man knows his stuff.
Yote
Got it ---- Quaker State Delfy ( sp)

Last edited:
I like to use a diesel-rated oil such as Chevron Delo or Shell Rotella, because it is quite a good oil, has an additive that takes the place of zinc so it's good for flat-tappet cams, and it is available fairly cheaply at WalMart.

Last edited:
downloadfile-15.jpg

VR-1 40w.

Course the last oil change was over 25 years ago and Kendal straight 40 was all she ever had after being built. So far the valvoline is fine!

Last edited:
Royal purple HPS 10W30. Company that I work for owns NAPA as well. I get it at cost. Same price as the cheap over the counter stuff at any auto parts place. I also get cost on Amsoil so I might give that stuff the shot next year.

QS 10w-30 Defy with Maxx ZDDP additive in a couple of my cars.
VR-1 (Valvoline) 10w-30 in another.

Mobile 10w-30 dino oil from Walmart..then add ZDDP additive for engines with flat tappets.. Which is about 5 engines these days..

Break in with joe Gibbs, ran J Gibbs min oil upto 10k now on to J Gibbs synthetic 15-50 hot rod oil . Solid flat tappet

2:soapbox: cents worth

I run Rotella T 15W40 - most Zinc oil out there at just about 1300parts per million.
No need to run a Zinc additive as conventional oils back in the 60,70,80's were around 1000ppm of zinc. Additive is just an over kill if your oil is the correct grade fro your application with enough Zinc. Plus the engine starts with better and quicker oil pressure on first fire and maintains a stronger pressure while in use.
Joe Gibbs break in lube to start the new engine for 20 minutes of break in then filter and oil change to Rotella for 100 miles of long easy driving. Then change again.
OKay - off the soap box now.

Valvoline 10/30 with zinc additive. (Rislone EOS with zinc)

-
Back