what oil to use

-

68valiant400

Reaction score
iam running mopar diesel oil in my car that was suggested by my engine guy(he does mopars for people all over the world and knows what he's talking about) and i was just wondering if anyone else is?

iam running mopar diesel oil in my car that was suggested by my engine guy(he does mopars for people all over the world and knows what he's talking about) and i was just wondering if anyone else is?

I can't comment on the mopar diesel oil but I and alot of the guys are or were using Shell Rotella T cuss it had zinc in it which the flat tappet cams need. Problem is that as more diesels are going to roller cams and lifters Shell is backing down the zinc because it's a pollutant. I've started using Mobil 1 in the 383 with a can of EOS (from the GM dealer in town) thrown in. The EOS is for engine breakin and supposedly contains a high degree of Zinc. Oh yea almost forgot, they are starting to put catalitic converters on diesels an apparently zinc kills them.

Terry

It's not too uncommon since diesel oil is known for its zinc content which is vital for flat tappet cams. Most of "today's" oils have greatly reduced or eliminated levels of zinc. SL rated or CJ-4, not SM, are what you want to look for. BUT, even some of the diesel oils you could count on before are getting their zinc levels reduced so be careful.

I have been using the Valvoline Racing only oil, it has the Zinc pkg. in it. I checked with Huges Engines, they approved it. They stated that it had zinc at 1200ppm. The main reason for the zinc being removed is it will clog the cat. converters. If is a flat tappet cam, you better be using oil with the zinc, or an zinc additive. You can run just about anything in a roller camed engine. I use Mobile Syn. in my late model stuff. The Valvoline can be purchased at NAPA Auto Parts.

I have been using the Valvoline Racing only oil, it has the Zinc pkg. in it. I checked with Huges Engines, they approved it. They stated that it had zinc at 1200ppm. The main reason for the zinc being removed is it will clog the cat. converters. If is a flat tappet cam, you better be using oil with the zinc, or an zinc additive. You can run just about anything in a roller camed engine. I use Mobile Syn. in my late model stuff. The Valvoline can be purchased at NAPA Auto Parts.

x2. Valvoline VR is the way to go!

Nothing but rotella-t here...

The Zinc has been deleted from the Shell-Rotella also. Thats what I used to run. If you can find some old stock, you would be fine. But that stuff don't sit on the shelves very long.

vr-1 here

if you have a chance - pick up a copy of the latest Mopar Enthusiast, its got 2 really good articles about oils and what you need to know!

www.moparenthusiast.com

Shell-Rotella still has zinc in it. The percentage was just lowered. Still has more then regular oil.

You can use diesel oil but not for much longer. The reason that the zinc levels were reduced is that zinc supposedly causes deterioration of the catalytic and since diesels are getting cat's all of the diesel oils will soon lose their zinc as well. This most likely means Rotella, Delvac, Delo, Mopar, all of them. And you will not know when that happens. The only oils I know of that are good for sure are Royal Purple, any of Amsoil's synthetics, Valvoline VR1, and Redline. E-Mail the manufacturer of whatever you like to use and ask them for the ZDDP concentration. If it is lower than 1200ppm or if they won't tell you, stop using it and bite the bullet for the good stuff. I use Amsoil Formula 2000 20W-50 Severe Service Racing Oil. After reading the charts and seeing that it's viscosity (cold and hot), volitility, flash point, and just about everything else you care to name was better than everyone else, I read tons of real-world reviews on various racing forums and could not find a single bad review of Amsoil oils other than whining about the price. I even saw several posts claiming slightly quicker ET's and faster turbo spool-up times. The only thing I noticed was that the engine turns over a little faster when cold.

kendall gt-1 plus comp cams engine break in lube here. used to use delo 400 until it went low emission as well.

kendall gt-1 plus comp cams engine break in lube here. used to use delo 400 until it went low emission as well.
I have read that the Kendall oils are not the same since that a**hole Chavez in Venezuela bought Kendall. Do you know anything about that? (Don't worry, I am not going to rag on you about giving your $$ to him).

I have read that the Kendall oils are not the same since that a**hole Chavez in Venezuela bought Kendall. Do you know anything about that? (Don't worry, I am not going to rag on you about giving your $$ to him).

never heard anything. couldn't even tell who chewy chavez is either. i hope its still good.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Do Not Use Amsoil!

I used it in my Mopar and it did some major damage and Amsoil would not stand behind it.

Amsoil spent more money to try to show their oil did not do the damage then it would have cost them to repair the damage their oil did...

I use VR-1 Valvoline..was running the Rotella but not after they started reducing zinc levels in 07.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Do Not Use Amsoil!

I used it in my Mopar and it did some major damage and Amsoil would not stand behind it.

Amsoil spent more money to try to show their oil did not do the damage then it would have cost them to repair the damage their oil did...
They wouldn't stand behind it because it is almost certain that the oil did not cause the problem. Their products are among the best and although you may be convinced that the oil caused a problem it is just about impossible due to the consistancy of modern production. Many, many people have been convinced that the oil they used blew up their engine or caused some damage but in all the reading I have done through the years that has not proven to be the case even once, although fried cams and lifters due to oils with too little ZDDP appear to be on the rise. There was a rash of people in the late 80's who thought Mobil 1 blew up their engines or burned cams because it "clotted" with the leftover petroleum-based oil when they switched. What was the problem and why do you think the oil caused it?

What about Castrol Syntec 20W-50. It's supposed to be for classic cars. When I talked to them they said it had the higher zinc content for flat tappet cams.

Fred B

What about Castrol Syntec 20W-50. It's supposed to be for classic cars. When I talked to them they said it had the higher zinc content for flat tappet cams.

Fred B
Did they tell you what the actual concentration is? You are looking for 1200ppm - 1400ppm.

The tech said they didn't know. It seems they should have that info.

Fred B

You're right he should have know the levels and he probably did, he just wouldn't say. Any literature I can find including guys that have done actual oil analysis on Syntec are pegging the Zinc and Phosphorous levels at between 800 and 900ppm and the so called guros say that the minimum levels are 1200ppm for flat tappet engines.

Terry

The tech said they didn't know. It seems they should have that info.

Fred B
Do not use it. Either they do know and are lying because they know that the concentration is too low (most likely) or they do not know what they are doing. Either way, you do not want to put their product in your car. There are plenty of companies out there that are honest and up-front about their products and tell you exactly how much ZDDP is in their oils.

-
Back