What oil, What weight?

-

Eric_S68

Reaction score
What oil do you use for your engine? What weight should I use, Do you use? I plan on Spinning 8k on the 360 once in a while at the track.

I am using kendalls 20 -50 racing oil, from before they were bought out, lucky, i had bought a bunch just before they sold out . most all of the racing oils have the zink added to them ,either in 10-30 and 20-50... weights will do.
watch your oil pressure spinning a engine that high,,,,rule of thumb there is 10 lbs per 1000 rpms.....hope you have a well thought out oiling system.

You need to check out the June 06 issue of Hot Rod Magazine page 124. Very scary info regarding the additives being taken out of oil by manufacturers.

I just read that article a few days ago. To sum up, racing oils and diesel rated oils (Rotella by Shell) still have adequate amounts of additives (Zinc and magnesium or phosphorous, I believe) to properly lubricate flat tappet cams. The commercial name brand stuff can cause lower life on HP flat tappet cams and are a definite no-no for cam break-in. The above mentioned chemicals have been gradually removed for emission purposes and the greater frequency of factory roller cams. I'd still find a way to read the article, since it talks about other factors related to cam failures (cheap off-shore lifters, spring pressures, opening/closing rates, etc.).

Thanks 68gts340. I've been nervous about spinning it 8k myself. Supposedly, the motor was "race built" and will do it accordingly to the previous owner. Think I'll keep it at 7k for now. There's plenty of oil pressure :drinkers:

I have just recently read that the diesel oils, including shell are going to be taking out the zink and other additives to comply with the new federal standards, no date was given but it will be soon.

I have just recently read that the diesel oils, including shell are going to be taking out the zink and other additives to comply with the new federal standards, no date was given but it will be soon. it sounds like this year sometime.

i use kendall gt-1 20w50. yep that article in hot rod is an eyeopener. even though kendall is good, they are succumbing to the rest of the oils. i am looking into additives to keep it better and safer.

-
Back