What rear ends are compatible with 73 Dart Custom

-

Futzy1

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a wheel to wheel rear end for my 73 Dart Custom at a "pick your part" and I'm wondering if there are other years/models I can search for that are compatible. Mine is a 225 slant with a 904, so I dont necessarily need to up to a beefier diff or anything, but I've got some rear end noise on my daily and I figure if I find a full replacement I can spend some time restoring etc and drop it in.

Most any A body rear will swap. watch for proper bolt pattern so you don't have to change wheels. And if you may need a different length driveshaft and shock plates and U bolts.. All depends on what you have now and what you find.

Would I have an easier time just swapping the diff with another 7.25?

Basically I'm learning as I go and it seems like a swap would be easier than a rebuild of the differential. I dont have a press or any super special tools, nor am I trying to buy them right now.

If you just want to swap it out and go, it would probably be easier if you take the springs and hangars along with the rear and swap it all together as an assembly. 8.25 and 8.75 have 3 inch axle tubes . 7.25 is smaller (2.5?)so it uses different shock plates and u bolts.

Just put a wanted ad here. I couldn't give my complete working 7 1/4 axle away after upgrading. It even had low mileage nearly new brakes, seals, wheel cylinders, etc. I tried, didnt get a single call or message. So I tossed it in the trunk of a junk car and had it hauled away to scrap.

Just put a wanted ad here. I couldn't give my complete working 7 1/4 axle away after

Yeah I just threw one up. I did a quick search last night. There were a couple, most of the free, but the closest one was a thousand miles away

-
Back