What should I do?

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
I'm going to build a 340 for my '64 Barracuda. It will be used almost exclusively as a fair-weather street car, & will have a six pack, 4 speed & currently has a 3.91 sure grip. The car was cut for Cyclone fenderwell headers about 30 years ago. I still have the headers & they are in good shape. I could probably get them coated with one of the high tech coatings & they'd last a long time. I also have a set of the 340 Hi Po exhaust manifolds, which I have read can be made to fit my chassis. I plan to take this car apart & do all the necessary body work etc. I know it's my car & I can do whatever I want, but I'd like to see what others would do in my situation. Should I run the headers, or should I replace the inner fenderwells & use the 340 manifolds?

:burnout:

I'm working on a 360 into a '64 Barracuda. As of yet, I have not found a way to make the 340 manifolds fit around the power steering box. Looks like I will need to go manual steering.
Mark

I have a manual box so that won't be a problem for me. I read somewhere how to make the Hi Po 340 manifolds fit the early cars. It suggested milling the left manifold at an angle. I can't find where I read it though.

:burnout:

I remember reading that also. I don't think it's needed if manual steering is used. Right now, the manifold flange hits the end of my power steering box. If the ms box is a couple of inches shorter, the next thing that would be in the way is the coupler. If I go with a Flaming River adapter, which has the u-joint, it looks to be smaller in diam than the box on the oe style coupler. Anyway, I'll find out shortly.

64bluefish, as to my original question, I take this discussion to mean you think I should patch the fenders & run the manifolds.

Sorry, I was just rambling through my own issues. I'm trying hard not to cut my car up. If switching to manual works great with no other issues then I would say to patch yours back up and go with the 340's. If I run into any more issues, then already having the fender wells cut maybe a good thing. I'm not sure what the difference in hp is between the two.

Some cars look good if the job is done rite with the fenderwell headers. I think they look really good with them coated. But again, if this is not the look you are going for I would run the manifolds. That is probably all you would need for the street. Good luck.

If you like the look of headers sticking through the inner fenders, and down inside the wheel wells, use the headers. But you might find you need to wrap them to keep other stuff cool in the engine compartment.

Personally I don't like that look, it's just not quite right. I plan to use the 340 HP manifolds on my '65 Barracuda with my 340. I have manual steering. This guy here has done it - http://www.ultrajosh.com/myshop.htm

Seems to me he had power steering but had to change the shaft and used a Flaming River u-joint.

If you decide on the headers, I might be interested in buying your manifolds. I'm missing one.

Thanks.
Neil.

-
Back