What size engine for the online/Youtube EC?

What size engine should the Online/Youtube Engine Challenge be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Change your vote. I just learned, it's a long-haul gas mileage challenge :)

Problem is I know better. The 360 I built for my 1976 dodge van to tow with got better gas mileage than my old 318. At least it did when I kept my foot out of it.

Problem is I know better. The 360 I built for my 1976 dodge van to tow with got better gas mileage than my old 318. At least it did when I kept my foot out of it.
the more they labor, the more the 360 will have the advantage in the MPG. But this challenge is in a 2900 Dart. :)

Bottom line is nobody knows what the "challenge" is... neither has the op responded although it shows he's been on this thread. Could be another thread to induce bickering ???? Maybe he'll chime in yet.....

I had a 69 Coronet that someone slipped a 361 in. It was a screamer with headers and a 4 barrel.
My first Mopar was a 64 Dodge Polara 500 with a 361 and a 4-speed manual tranny. I eventually did everything to that engine that the 383 guys were doing to those. That smallest of big blocks would really move the car. I even beat a factory stock 360 Duster with my built engine! That 1 cube made such a difference that I beat him by half a front fender. I was sold on the potential of the 360 ever since.

Bottom line is nobody knows what the "challenge" is... neither has the op responded although it shows he's been on this thread. Could be another thread to induce bickering ???? Maybe he'll chime in yet.....
challenge? it seems everyone doesn't really want a challenge. lol
the 318 would be a good challenge, call it the 318 roller challenge.

Here's a thought. You want to make it as cheap and as accessible as possible to attract participants. The more participants you attract the more viewers you attract. Most engine builders will have stuff lying around collecting dust or have access to a cheap core and since 318's are junk in most peoples eyes that would represent a good candidate for the participants.

2nd thought. Make it about average HP per cube so as to challenge the builders to build overall power efficiencies instead of just a peak number. Make them use factory parts so as to keep the costs down and showcase builders smarts not their check book. Then when it's said and done use the relevant builds to educate the viewership on the builders approach and show case his/hers ideas and what and how it was accomplished.

In my view its not about the engine you use but about the ideas and know how and what people can learn from the exercise.

Here's a thought. You want to make it as cheap and as accessible as possible to attract participants. The more participants you attract the more viewers you attract. Most engine builders will have stuff lying around collecting dust or have access to a cheap core and since 318's are junk in most peoples eyes that would represent a good candidate for the participants.

2nd thought. Make it about average HP per cube so as to challenge the builders to build overall power efficiencies instead of just a peak number. Make them use factory parts so as to keep the costs down and showcase builders smarts not their check book. Then when it's said and done use the relevant builds to educate the viewership on the builders approach and show case his/hers ideas and what and how it was accomplished.

In my view its not about the engine you use but about the ideas and know how and what people can learn from the exercise.
And no cheating!!!!! :lol:

Trouble is why spend money on a piece of crap 318 when you can spend the same amount and have something worth having. I think the poll will show where the interest is.

Trouble is why spend money on a piece of crap 318 when you can spend the same amount and have something worth having. I think the poll will show where the interest is.
If you can make power with a 318 can you make power with a 360, 383, 400, 426. 440..............

I cant imagine engine builders wanting to hang on to more engines.

Totally agree, A 360 is far more useful and an easier sell than a 318 especially one thats "built". J.Rob

Maybe you didn't see it but I was hoping to design a set of rules not only based on some of these rules but the testing/scoring would also be the same. Its all in the link. J.Rob

https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/2297913/2020EarlyIronrulesVer1_02052020_LG_EPupdated4120.pdf

I haven't responded because I was giving the poll time and there was nothing more to say, I also have a full time job and hold down the machine shop with all my free :rolleyes:time. The challenge will closely follow the way its laid out in the link only hopefully simpler , maybe you haven't seen it. Bickering? Have at it--won't be with me. J.Rob

Showing off how much money you have!
The only thing that costs more is the pistons. (over on the shelf 318/340/360 slugs) Everything else is pretty much the same. Now, building a 400 hose 273 will cost you plenty, a 400 horse 318, less, and a 340 or 360 even less. It all depends what we are building towards. Horsepower/cubic inch would be fair.

Last edited:
Anybody and everybody does and can do a small block. I vote 383 because it's the under dog of big blocks. Keep it stock stroke.

1 class 360

1 class 383/400

:thankyou::welcome::icon_fU:

Seriously, a 360, I’m in. Ready to rock….. almost.

If the big block guys (or other guys) come out if force then I have to bail. LOL! I know no one is crying over that.

No bitchin or complaining here. You know it’s gonna be good no matter what.

Last edited:
Altitude compensated, or do all engines need to be tested at the same location
Ideally I was hoping to just get a few entrants with dyno access and we just ship the engines around for testing. Average the scores together from all locations to come up with a "score". J.Rob

Don't know don't care as the scoring will be avg hp + avg tq / ci x 1000 within a predetermined rpm range. J.Rob

I have no idea what this competition is about, but with these parameters, i want the longest stroke i can get with a slightly wider LSA cam. I voted 440. :)

-
Back