What solvent for parts washer?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
I just bought a 40-gallon capacity parts washer which requires 20 gallons of cleaning solvent. What kind of solvent or cleaning agent would you guys recommend, and where's the best place to buy it? Thanks a lot.

I'll share my experience here...

I bought a Harbor Freight parts washer. I filled it with non flammable "Purple Power" degreaser. The degreaser completely removed all of the red paint from the water line down. I didn't realize it until I flipped on the washer motor which became instantly clogged with liquified paint.

I have yet to get the thing back up and running.

I'll share my experience here...

I bought a Harbor Freight parts washer. I filled it with non flammable "Purple Power" degreaser. The degreaser completely removed all of the red paint from the water line down. I didn't realize it until I flipped on the washer motor which became instantly clogged with liquified paint.

I have yet to get the thing back up and running.
In Ca. it's called "thinner" for VOC compliance. I get it at a Chevron distributor. Have never had a problem with it.

I’d sure like to get ahold of whatever Safety Kleen uses in their parts washer - it’s good stuff!

In Canada, it's called solvent. Most of our part houses carry it, in up to 5 gal cans. May also go by ." Varsol, paint thinner, ". I have found putting up to a couple of gals of water in the bottom, not enuff for the pump to suck. It's way cheaper than using all solvent, AND, debris, solids, etc settle into the water and sink, separated from the cleaner, it stays cleaner longer. There is a down side, that in a few yrs the reservoir may leak from rusting. For me it's just a new lube barrel to replace.. cheers . . Try
Walmart
paint Dept.

Varsol with water here too.

I would like to get some of the stuff Safety Clean USED to sell.

I would like to get some of the stuff Safety Clean USED to sell.
We have a local company that supplies John Deere with their lube products. They also have solvent. Good stuff. When it's new it's a good idea to soften it up a bit with some atf. It makes your hands tingle but does it clean good. Mineral spirits!

I use a 5 gallon bucket in mine with about 4 gallons of mineral spirits and 1 quart of transmission fluid to lubricate my pump....20 gallons seems like a lot but mines home made from a stainless old sink and self gabbed stand. It won’t chemically clean like the old safety clean days but it works.

I use mineral spirits but the price is out of control in the last 5 years, $20 a gal, $100 for a 5 gal can. I found Sherman Williams gives me a discount and It's about $50 for 5 Gal can.

call Safety Clean or the like that services shops. I was able to buy 20 gallons outright in CA, but that was 30 years ago so today who knows.

Anyones thoughts on diesel? I'v never used it as a solvent but my old timers brain seems to recall something about using it to clean out engines while they were running? (let the flaming (pun intended) begin!)

Whatever you use, wear gloves when you use it, I learned that the hard way when I was 13 working for a diesel mechanic cleaning parts. Prepare to have waste too, because your part got cleaned doesn't mean the grease and gook have gone to never never land, its in your solvent.

I wouldnt use turps (turpentine)
It really stinks.
Varsol,low odour. Low flash point.
It has some smell.
I just think about that pail of carb soak that permeates everything and i can smell it. That crap is nasty.

Diesel will clean,but the additives now may make it less desireable to use.

I’ve always found acetone has worked well. Paint thinner and varsol worked but it took longer/more wiping for the part to be cleaned compared to acetone.

I looked around pretty carefully, and the best deal I could find was 5-gallon cans of "PSC 1000" (naptha) at Tractor Supply for $45.00 each. I guess it's pretty flammable and quite a skin irritant, so you have to wear really good rubber gloves, goggles and a face mask; avoid open flames and breathing the vapors; and maintain proper ventilation and the proper fire extinguisher when you use it. I bought 20 gallons, but haven't tried it yet because I have to buy the safety equipment first.

-
Back