What spark plug?

-

ronw

Reaction score
I have a 540 cu. in. 10.5 to 1 compression. Trying to decide what make plug and heat range to use. thanks ron

New build or has it been run? What plug is in it now?

I would say start out with a standard 440 plug and go from there. You will have to read the plugs after a dyno run or cam break in. Use search here for reading spark plugs. With that much compression you may need a colder plug. There won''t be a one size/fits all plug for your application.

I would say start out with a standard 440 plug and go from there. You will have to read the plugs after a dyno run or cam break in. Use search here for reading spark plugs. With that much compression you may need a colder plug. There won''t be a one size/fits all plug for your application.
thanks

For what it's worth this is why I like breaking them in on dynos. I wouldn't even think of spending that kind of money on an engine and doing a first fire in the car.

For what it's worth this is why I like breaking them in on dynos. I wouldn't even think of spending that kind of money on an engine and doing a first fire in the car.

I always break them in on a run stand because if there is any problem it's easier to fix when it's out of the car and when everything is right, oil changed, ran again with no problem then it goes to the dyno if I want to dyno it. But first run is always out of the car.

Thanks, not everyone has access to a dyno or the money as in my case!

If you have the money to build an engine like that but not 500 dollars to spend on a dyno day to safely break it in and get it tuned right I'm truly lost.

I always break them in on a run stand because if there is any problem it's easier to fix when it's out of the car and when everything is right, oil changed, ran again with no problem then it goes to the dyno if I want to dyno it. But first run is always out of the car.

Out of the car makes sense. A dyno still has advantages for break in but doing it in a car, especially with a pricy build scares me.

Do NOT use a stock 440 plug UNLESS you are using stock 440 heads. Those stock heads use a J series Champion and most aftermarket heads use the N/C series Champion and they ain't the same.

If it's a stock head, you can start with a J12YC and tune it up from there.

If it's aftermarket heads, you can start with a C12YC and tune it up from there.

I use the C series because the 5/8 hex gives more room than the 13/16 hex.

Do NOT use a stock 440 plug UNLESS you are using stock 440 heads. Those stock heads use a J series Champion and most aftermarket heads use the N/C series Champion and they ain't the same.

If it's a stock head, you can start with a J12YC and tune it up from there.

If it's aftermarket heads, you can start with a C12YC and tune it up from there.

I use the C series because the 5/8 hex gives more room than the 13/16 hex.
Great reply. As usual there is a lot of missing information. I was thinking about that earlier. If you are running aftermarket heads you should probably contact the manufacturer for their recommendation.

Great reply. As usual there is a lot of missing information. I was thinking about that earlier. If you are running aftermarket heads you should probably contact the manufacturer for their recommendation.
Thank you everyone, a little more info. The eng has Indy max wedge heads and intake

Thank you everyone, a little more info. The eng has Indy max wedge heads and intake
Good to know. Call Indy they know what plug you need. We are only guessing.

C10YC or C11YC champion or equivalent autolite, call indy
I`m guessing their aluminum ? -------I started w/ 3/4 reach ngk 7`s, down to ngk 6`s now.
alum. heads take longer plugs. 3/4 reach-----------

-
Back